Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
North Port
So my dad is having what he call's choking fits once per day. As he describes it, the phlegm blocks passage to lungs at the voicebox. The phlegm is very thick. He uses muscinex as well as atropoline for the secretions. He is also using the cough assist but the choking is progressing and leaving him very weak. Is there anything that we can do to help with this? He is refusing to nap as he is afraid he will choke. He is in hospice (just barely) and all this has been very tiring for him. Any others have this problem? Like I said he uses the cough assist and bipap.

We use Atropine and Scoplomine for excess saliva which in turn makes the saliva turn into thick secretions.

We use Alka-Seltzer Original once daily as well as liquid mucinex as needed. Giving extra water helps thins the thick secretions as well.

I hope this helps!

Most of the thick mucus comes from my nose down the back of my throat. I suction my nose during the day and before night to keep nasal secretions in control. I take guafinessin by breaking up capsules called gua-aid as mucinex is extended release and those don't work well when you grind them. I also avoid mucus producing food...no dairy, wheat, and eggs in my food. That helps a lot. I use Kate Farms formulas for food.

Is he taking Nexium? I had an intractable cough that bothered me for years before being diagnosed with ALS. The nexium controlled the cough. 2 years in the cough got considerably worse so the nexium was doubled up. Works like a charm. So instead of being a problem of mucous, it could be more of a reflux thing. It's worth investigating.
Vincent

I think alka seltzer helps and staying hydrated. Also elevating bed more now when resting

Lots of water is important if it's very thick.

It may be worth looking at dairy and other meds suggested here too. It is an awful part of what can happen with this disease and while it can just be managed there isn't a magic answer. Learning to stay very calm truly helps a lot, or else meds for the anxiety and panic are truly in order as he is suffering. I'm so sorry it's like this.

Did hospice discuss any meds like chlonazepam for the anxiety?

He is no longer taking any food by mouth. Hospice came out today and began a cocktail treatment that should help him. He is much calmer and the secretions have gone way down.

Anxiety will always increase the amount of secretions, so the meds may help on those two fronts.

Mucus producing foods will cause problems whether they are taken by mouth or by feeding tube, so if these meds don't give him enough relief it could still be worth looking at the content of what he is taking by tube :)

The secrection volume is very new. I truly believe it is stress related. However, now his legs and hands are beginning to swell.

Massage, ROM and elevation can help relieve the swelling - this is often due to low mobility but also to breathing issues affecting circulation in general.

Changing position frequently (depending on his mobility every hour could be worth starting with), even if the changes in position are not all that big, it can help, especially if you can do some circulation improving things at the same time. What these will be are dependant on where he is at physically. It could be worth talking to hospice about what strategies may suit his situation best for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back