Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Brantford
Tonight we had to call 911 as my mother was having a choking spell. She wasn't eating anything, she just starting choking on her phlegm. She couldn't stop, and we couldn't help her. We kept taking it out with our fingers, making her spit, patting her back. It has happened a couple of other times this week, but we were able to help her quickly. I brought up the idea of a suction, but it quickly got ignored by everyone. So, we called 911 and told the paramedics to come with a suction. They did and they cleared her out. She is in bed now in her room, not at the hospital. She has developed a cold and has a bit of a cough. The nurse checked a couple of days ago, and her lungs were clear. We will be asking her Doctor and nurses for a suction machine first thing in the morning. But, is there anything we can give her to clear her phlegm? Like a decongestant? I'm also horrified of her getting sick, as I fear her getting aspiration pneumonia while we are waiting for her PEG tube procedure to be done in a couple of weeks.

I give my mom an expectorant called wal-tussin thru her peg tube a couple of x a week. It seems to thin the phlegm for her and keeps it manageable. Your mom might be able to take some of this before she gets her tube, its just like a cough syrup. Good Luck.

See if you can get a Cough Assist machine. We got ours through our respiratory therapist who works with our neurologist. It has saved my husband's life several times. it stimulates and simulates a cough by pushing and pulling air from the patient's lungs thereby allowing the person to bring up the phlegm. Tom also takes Ativan when he has a choking spell which helps relax him and makes it easier for him to deal with. As you know, it's very scary when they are choking.

I have had als bulbar about two years now. cold and then virus cough in jan this year were rough. I have been using antihistamine but got decongestant lately it seems to help a sucking machine to get flim out of my mouth would help,I use salt spray in my nose to loosen flim and blow then use tissue into my nose to get rest out use toughn cleaner brush teeth and mouthwash to clear mouth out.

since I had the cold ect if I cough too long my trought can close up so I cant breathe then I have to stop coughing so it opens up again.

We're just using a decongestant cough medicine for phlegm. That's what our ALS clinic recommended. Did say there was an eye drop medicine you put on your tongue or something if that doesn't work?!

There is a dropper medication for phlegm--I can't remember the name. we got it from hospice. I did not think it worked all that great. my husband likes to take a Benedryl when he gets going bad. I have some Mucinex in the cupboard also but he doesn't want to take that.

The goal is not always to dry up/suck out. Too dry, and a film hangs out forever. Too much suction and more irritation can result from the gag reflex. Hydration, humidification and temperature control in room are all important to the equation. After spraying the nose w/ saline, cromolyn or triamcinolone, we also use a long-neck nasal aspirator (blue, available on Azn) to keep the nose clear, which helps reduce the throat phlegm.

I also use mucinex for my pals. He is on a vent and can often develop mucus plugs. This seems to work for us. Getting those plugs out can become scary.

Debbie

Thank you all for your helpful advice! We got our suction machine and didn't have any scares for a few days. Today we did, but things were suctioned out quickly. It was a crying day for her, we notice on these days she has a tendency to choke. Her cold is gone as of yet. We has a nasal sprayer for her as well that seems to be working. We just have to do our best to keep her happy, which is difficult when she cries on commercials! This is my mother, nothing new, I'm the same way ;)

This is allergy season

True enough, and I should have mentioned that we use loratadine (an antihistamine, generic for Claritin) in fast melt form every night.
As for the crying, have you considered Nuedexta?

Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant 1200 mg extended release. Max takes one in the morning and one at night.

I am taking antihistamine, sudafed, and a ana-somthing that thins mucas and now anti biotic for when it got too much flim caused infection I think I will need these things all the time except ani biotic

I was told to use the cough assist twice a day even if I didn't need it, therapist said that it will keep infections down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back