Status
Not open for further replies.
We use Guafenasin (robitussin) 25-30 mg every 4-6 hours. My mother's pulmonologist works with the world's leader doctor for ALS and is awesome! Look for cough syrups with only this type of decongestant (only guaifenesin and not dextromethorphan).This will help thin the thick spit that gets stuck in the back. Be sure to give at least 150 cc of water when you give her the meds too. Ask for a portable suction machine. The brand we have is a devibliss(I think that's how you spell it) and the battery lasts pretty long. Also, The thin, drooly spit can be decreased using robinol ( i think the generic is called glycopyrollate). I am sorry if I didn't spell something correctly.

>We use Guafenasin (robitussin) 25-30 mg every 4-6 hours. My mother's pulmonologist works with the world's leader doctor for ALS and is awesome! Look for cough syrups with only this type of decongestant (only guaifenesin and not dextromethorphan).This will help thin the thick spit that gets stuck in the back. Be sure to give at least 150 cc of water when you give her the meds too.

just passed this on to Sandy, thanks! Our next clinic is in July ... you?

I need to make an appointment in August since we just saw Holland/PT/OT/dietitian/ and Dr. Appel's assistant in mid-May during mom's hospital stay. Just have been overwhelmed trying to take care of everything else and forgot! <--- the life of a caregiver lol

Mucinex really is great. Does she have a PEG tube? If so, you can't use the extended release. Loratadine is excellent and tiny, once a day for allergies. I also take afrin and flonase nasal spray. Probably overkill, but i think it helps. Cough assist and suction machines are a necessity, twice a day &as needed between. Get a cough assist machine ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back