Diagnosis
12/2001
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Ruskin
For those who have swallowing issues do not sit back and swallow .Sit up and swallow tucking your chin down ,this shuts your epiglotis and keeps food or liquids out of your lungs.or airway.Geo

Good advice Geo,, and when that no longer works get a peg tube! :wink::wink:

Geo, I was given that tip at the ALS rehab center. I tried it when trying to swallow a pill. It did not work for me , and actually I had the worst choking experience ever. I tried to aspirate that pill and could not cough it out. I had to use a chair on the ribs and cough to dislodge it.

I cant speak for anyone else , but that maneuver is not the one for me.

Well did you get trained on it by your doc. If you are trained properly perhaps it my have worked . but who knows more about you than you . Just like all things ,not for everyone
but good luck with whatever you try . Geo

You have to make your luck.

I got pegged ahead of time.

Glen

I have been using this technique for a couple of weeks when drinking water and it seems to help. For a while I was drinking with a straw and that worked well, but lately it has been making me choke a lot. So now I drink from the glass, just one swallow at a time, with my chin tucked. If a little water goes down the wrong way I give a good cough, try to keep the lungs clear.

Taking pills is a little tricky, I have never been great at doing that. I find it works better to use milk (actually chocolate soy milk from Costco, it's very thick). I'm taking probably every vitamin known to man plus a bunch of supplements nobody's ever heard of. Probably 30-40 pills a day, spread out. It's nice to be able to take more than one at a time, and with the chocolate milk I can get 3-4 in a swallow.

So far it is mostly water that gives me trouble, I choke on food rarely and it's easy to clear.

Hal , yogurt or apple sauce really helps getting the pills down.

Well guys i hate to sound like a broken record but i use my TENS/EMS Machine on my neck for an hour per day and it seems to stimulate the muscles in the neck . but unfortunately i dont catch it soon enough and i use the chin tuck method . Geo

I cough a lot after drinking or eating. Any suggestions?

Erica are you reading these posts Thats is what the subject matter is . Read my post on TENS/EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back