Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
I am wondering if anyone of you good people can recommend a chin strap that I can buy or make. In our northern climate the air is very dry in the house in winter even with a humidifier going in the room. When I'm awake I can consciously work at keeping my mouth closed but when I'm sleeping it always flops open and I wake up with a very dry mouth and tongue. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Barry

Barry ... I ordered one online for $14 that has a soft cloth part under the chin ... all the rest had straps under the chin. It is fairly comfortable if you like that sort of thing. Naturally, I threw away the invoice and the wrapper and there is no brand name on the strap. I think I had Googled *chin straps* and picked this one because it looked a little less S&M than the rest.

Your vacation sounds fabulous ...

Thanks Beth, At least I know that it's not just me and these things actually do exist. And I've had quite enough S&M for a while so I'll do some looking around. Now how about that peg tube holder thingy for those of us who don't wear a bra (or a man-zire)? I was thinking of something like a money belt or passport holder that would go under my clothes next to my skin. If anyone has a design or pattern or idea I would love to hear about it. Something cozy for a softy like me, this tape is ruining my skin. Sorry to make this into a two-headed thread.
I had a good time visiting Andrew, he's a good kid and he's doing well at school. He's majoring in Visual Arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, video and photography) and his minor is in japanese.

chin restraint

Hi Barry

My husband was having the same problem at night sleeping, and the snoring was keeping me tossing and turning. His respitory therapist gave him one and then another came in the mail.

On the package insert and I quote: Intended use: the intent of the chin restraint is to restrict the mouth from opening during Positive Airway Pressure (PAP) treatment and minimise air loss through the mouth. It can be used in conjunction with a wide range of mask and pillow systems.

It does look a little S&M! Just another attractive device for a not so at all laughable disease.

I often said that somebody really really high up there in Hollywood needs to experience
this stinking disease before real attention will be made to the public for funding and such. I am not and never would wish on anybody but if that happened, you would see alot more research being funded.

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Good luck with the chin restraint. It works! Oh......George's strap is by RES MED.

Patty

A passport holder is a great idea. I have to tape the thing at night, which is tiresome, and you're right about the tape vs. skin. Also, tucking into the bra adds a very peculiar collection of lumps and clamps to one's silhouette. I expect someone to come up to me at some point and say, "Lady, I don't know what's happening, but you have got something weird growing there."

Then I'll point to (what's his initials?) in his Speedo and say, "Oh, yeah? Well check HIM out!"

I wonder if I have my old passport holder around.

Wow, two issues to comment on. To keep my PEG out of the way I put a piece of adhesive tape
around it, making a tab that I then pin to the inside of my shirt. My hands are still good enough I
can manage that.

As for chin straps, i have tried three now and none have kept my mouth closed. Maybe I am
just more slack jawed than most. I look forward to what others suggest as I have the same issue
with the dry air here in Colorado leaving me with a leather tongue every morning.
Best to all
Dan

Dan, what I found with the chin strap was that it did hold my jaw closed, but my lip seal is shot, so my lips were parted enough to keep mouth breathing.

I'm wondering if this isn't something a creative dentist couldn't solve. They design individual bite thingies to keep people from grinding their teeth in their sleep. I picture something you could gently bite (tailored to your mouth) that would cover the outside of the mouth and just block air intake. Like those big red wax lips we wore on Halloween, only a tad classier.

Beth - you're exactly right, my jaw stays closed but my lips and cheeks are too weak. I like
your idea very much. At one point I was trying to tape my mouth shut but that seemed a
bit much and never really worked. I'll see what my dentist has to say. Thanks a bunch
I'll keep you informed how it goes. I wonder if something like you describe can't be integrated
into my bipap mask.
Thanks
Dan

I am not sure what PAP methods are being used , but can offer my own usage.

I could not find a chin strap that would keep my pie-hole closed at night. I could tighten them up leaving marks in the morning. Nothing worked.

I have had sleep apnea for more than 7 years now. After trials with different masks , I went to a full face mask. Ultra Mirage II is the one that works , it covers both my nose and mouth. I have a humidifier on my CPAP machine . Oddly enough , with this setup , my mouth stays closed. No snoring , no dried out mouth. Just a few Darth Vader jokes once in a while.

Barry//g-tube holder

Barry,
My Mom made some G-tube holders for my husband..they are not perfect..but do the trick. She made them out of blue flannel. The only mess up is she made the ribbons a little to short. It is a work in progress. I would be more than glad to send you one as she made him several..it is brand new. Just email me your address. Fondly, Kelly

Maybe you guys need to wear bigger(taller) grandma/grandpa underwear that go higher and you can just tuck it in and not have to do the tape thing?

Who wears underwear anymore? Too much trouble at pee time. LOL

Hi Kelly, I've sent you my address in a pm. Thanks, the nurses and dieticians all have told me "don't tape" but then they have no suggestions about what else to do so your offer is most appreciated!
Thanks again!
Barry

I am contacting a Snoring/Sleep Apnea Dental Treatment Center on information about a chin strap for my mom. This dentist has some experience with the bipaps, keeping mouth closed, avoid leather tongue issues. Although I am also going to try the medical supply that provides the bipap, I hadn't thought of that.

An idea (sooner or later its bound to happen) :wink:

OK, this is what I've come up with. I don't sleep with my mouth open, but my lips open. For a period of a few months I was able to keep them mostly sealed, but lately its a nightly problem. So, my mouth still gets dry in the back and my humidifier in the machine still runs out of water.

I came up with what I think is a workable solution. I want to just say I will make them for you ~ but if I do that it may take forever, and no one has forever.

Think in your mind of a surgical mask.... now.... picture a rectangular piece of cloth that has each of the ends pleated together (like a pinch pleated curtain, only with both the top and bottom with pinch pleats which is turned sideways)

A piece of elastic would then be attached from one eind of the pleated/gathered up fabric to the other. Making a mask. Then, to be worn, it goes on around the chin and mouth, strap running over the ears to hold it up and snug.

There you go, you've got your mouth and lips held closed.

Having not made one yet, I'm not sure if the shape will be correct. I really think it will work.

Now, I'm thinking (especially for you, Beth) definitely a matching eye sleep mask is called for. Maybe a few nice ensembles, one out of a pretty chintz, and then a wild leopard print or other exotic.... every bulbar girl's answer to the matching bra and panty set :cool:

Why I thought of this (other than what I hope is just pure unadulterated genius) is, I've started wearing an eye sleep mask at night, because my eyes don't stay closed tight. Its ironic, back during all of the weird sleep hours I attempted while working, I could never stand having the mask on my eyes & even if I started out with one on, I'd end up pulling it off in my sleep. But now, I first pull the headgear for bipap all the way over my head and let it hang around my neck, I pull on the eye shades, flip up the bottom of them a little so I can see, pull up the bipap mask, fasten it, and the forehead strap of the bipap is on the top of my eye mask, and hence holds it in place to where I can't pull it off without unfastening my bipap. Not to say that I am above ripping off the bipap, but that would entail a lot of effort just to get the shades off of my eyes, and so far ( a week now) I've kept everything on all night, and I've slept better.

So, next step is my chin sling/lip sealer thing.

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back