08/2015
Country
US
State
TN
City
Crossville
Hello NMD.
I am in your shoes exactly, with the exception that I'm up close and personal with all the difficulties that come with disease.
I can appreciate your fear and your honest question, so I'll share with you my personal experience.
My dad was diagnosed in August of 2015.
Some of the scariest and heart breaking moments of my life followed.
By far, the most painful part of this experience was the rage and upset that my mom experienced after Dad's diagnosis.
My mom has refused to accept that my dad is a grown man capable of making his own decisions.
My dad had peg tube inserted in March of 2015, prior to ALS diagnosis and after having stroke like symptoms and swallowing difficulties. He refused tube at first but was brow beaten into it with the assurance it would be in place for only 30-60 days.
When my dad came home from rehab, his health took a sharp decline. After that my mom refused him solid foods and eventually refused him any nutrition that wasn't given via tube. This was most distressing to my dad. Food was one of the last pleasures he had in this life. He often told me, immediately after a choking episode, that this last pleasure and comfort was worth the risk and discomfort of choking.
This disease is a definite death sentence for most. I believe our job as caretakers and loved ones, is not life saving measures but comfort care.
This forced nutrition has stripped my dad of the last shred of dignity and comfort my dad had left in life and prolonged his misery against his will.
PLEASE ask your family to set aside their own fear and respect your father's wishes. My personal relationship with my mom has taken a huge hit because if this. ....right at the moment we needed each other the most.
In effect, with this diagnosis, I feel as if Ive lost both my parents.
I sit, at this very moment, holding dad's hand as he is in the process of drawing his last.
My heart goes out to you.

Re: Is he going to choke to death?

You are most welcome NMD.
Exposing my pain is well worth it if it can help you with yours.

Dad passed 2 1/2 hours after I posted.

I encourage you, and your family, to treasure every possible moment you can. Don't sweat his decisions. His death is eminent so enjoy his life while you can.

Peace to you.

My deepest sympathies ChildofALS. How beautiful your love, care, and respect you gave your father. Kate

Child - I am so very sorry for your loss. Hugs

Sue

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. May peace be with you and your family. Dad was lucky to have you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. I also hope that as you heal, so will your relationship with your mom. Hugs from across the miles.
-Erika

Child, it was very generous of you to post while your dad was so close to death. I can see that you helped more than one person by sharing your experience.

Your dad was fortunate to have you there; he found his peace and you will find yours.

Best,
Laurie

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

I am so sorry for the loss you are feeling,Child. ALS makes everyone very afraid to varying degrees. People cope with illness very differently. It is hard when you are a family member and disagree with a pals decisions. I hope you and your mom find a way back together. Counseling jointly and separately might help. My son and I went for 2 years while my husband was alive and still go periodically.

I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences.

Steve

Sending you a big hug.����

Thinking of you and sending you a big hug.

So sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back