Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
A friend sent me a message on FB the other day asking if my family would like some chicken noodle soup. She said she had made a lot and would bring some by if I wanted. I almost said 'no, thanks, don't go to the trouble', knowing that she has tons going on in her life, too, and we didn't really "need" it and, besides, my house was a wreck. Instead I yes. It was so good to see her when she stopped by. She didn't stay long, but we talked and caught up.

I'm not going to feel guilty about accepting it and having her drive all the way over - she seemed truly happy to have done it. I've decided I'm not going to say 'no' to anyone that wants to help in any way. I've had many friends say, 'let me know if there's anything we can do'. I think most of them really mean it, but I can never think of anything to say, except, "thanks, I will".

Now I'm going to start giving them ideas - they can follow through or not as they wish. I think the one I'll test out next time someone is asks is, "maybe you can give us a call before you go shopping next time and see if there's something we need". I work from home and we live miles from the nearest store and I would happily pay someone to pick up fabric softener or something like that if I've run out.

It would be a huge help and might help people stay in touch - it's easier to talk about fabric softener or mustard than ALS. Does that make any sense - or is it a bad idea?

Terrific idea. I think that a lot of folks wouldn't mind helping out but most seem to be at a loss figuring out what to do.

I agree, fantastic idea. Keep us posted on how it goes. When I saw the heading "Chicken Soup" I immediately thought of Chicken Soup for the Soul and after reading your post, it sure fits right in there, someone offering help and seeing you accept brought joy to my soul. {{Hugs}}

This is EXACTLY what you should do! Ive heard many ppl say they want to help their friends, but dont know what to do. Many have said if the person who needs help would just give them a "duty" list, then they'd feel better about the whole situation.
Some folks may want to help with the personal cares of our PALS, others would rather run errands or do dishes.
GREAT IDEA

Agreed. This is an absolutely wonderful idea. People who care about you and your family want very much to help out, but they are afraid of "stepping on your toes" by choosing to do something themselves. With your guidance (I love the idea of picking up something specific the next time you're at the store), they don't have to think or worry about what to do, they can just do it. Everybody wins! They feel better for helping and you feel better for being helped. In our lotsa helping hands website, I can set up the tasks that need doing ahead of time, and then people can sign up for whatever they want to do on their own time. It has been extremely helpful for getting meals to my mom and helping with transportation, sending her over 200 birthday cards during the week of her birthday, setting up prayer chains and giving people information about ALS and advocacy for PALS, and eventually asking for and receiving help with respite care and other more intensive needs. ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED. Ask and ye shall receive. Homemade chicken soup. What a blessing!

Some people really do want to help, but dont want to butt in. If you give them something to do when they ask, it helps you and it helps them. The best though are the ones that dont ask...Just do:)

I think that's a great idea. I've found some individuals don't call because they 'don't know what to say'. You've given them a topic of conversation and a reason to call: 'do you need anything from the store' and they can stay in touch without worrying that they maybe be bothering you. Plus, you can keep the conversation to 'what's needed from the store' if it's a bad time to talk, or you can 'catch up' if that's what you need.

I am learning to say yes and lean on friends now.They have picked items ate the store and brought meals.its really nice..I know i would do the same for others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back