Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Astoria
What came first weakness or fasciculations? also... I, like many am constantly analyzing my hands for atrophy. Does it take a neuro to see it? I think I see it in my left hand but no one else does.

Hi,

If you have atrophy in your hands, they would be weaker. Are you having any problems with opening bottles, buttoning, or zippering or or holding small things in your hand such as pills......
Hang in there and try and think positive.

I had shoulder weakness and thigh weakness way before the twitching started. Also my left leg and hip were very hard to move when i used to do pilates. No matter how much i excersized my shoulders and legs never got stronger and now my shoulders droop down so much i can't keep sphagetti straps up let alone bra straps. I have a suspected neuromuscular disorder and have not been diagnosed with ALS.

Looking back on it, I remember noticing weakness in my right hand and arm after using it a great deal, like working on the computer and dragging the mouse for hours. I didn't really think much of it, but this was happening months before the fasciculations began.

When the fasciculations started, I also didn't think much of it; I just chalked it up to stress.

But a month or so later, my right hand got to the point that it was weak all of the time; it was constantly weaker than my left hand.

I googled 'muscle twitching and weakness in one arm' and immediately saw the connection to ALS. But I thought to myself, "what are the odds of that? That's an incredibly rare disease."

Now it is 6 months later, and my neurologist is telling me that it is 80 to 90% likely that I have ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back