10/2008
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Richmond
Hey guys,

Got a question that is probably answered somewhere in these forums, but I don't have the patience to go all through them, and I think I have the answer, just need some clarification.

In my best effort to continue with life as usual after diagnosis I am finishing up grad school and will eventually be in the market for a new job, depending on where my progression takes me. The hospital I currently work in has WONDERFUL health insurance benefits (including some superb long-term disabilty), so naturally, anything I look for will have to have similar or I just may be staying here until I can stay no longer.

So my question is this: In thinking about pre-existing condition clauses for group health insurance policies and HIPAA rights, am I correct in reading that an insurance company cannot deny me coverage based on my health status, but can delay covering me for up to 12 months after my eligbility date for any pre-existing condition (namely, ALS)? This would mean I'd have to pay for my own health expenses during that waiting period. If this is true, am I also correct in reading that I can COBRA my former benefits for that 12 month waiting period, so that I'm not really going without health insurance for any significant length of time?

I'm just trying to make some sort of plan. My dream was always to be a nurse death investigator. Well, I'm not having my hopes set too high on that one, as I don't think they make super-off-roading wheelchairs for those hard-to-get-to bodies, let alone adaptive equipment to help me package up said bodies. What I am having my sights set on now is a nurse investigator position in the state attorney general's office or another office-type forensic nursing position - maybe even a professor. I just want to be certain that I will eventually be elegible for health insurance with where ever I end up going.

Thanks for any advice!
~Michelle

Michelle, some health insurances when they're carried by the employer instead of an individual policy do not have pre-existing clauses. I read mine over very carefully last year, as I needed to change plans to get one that my rheumatologist participates in. ~ and then about three months later found that I didn't have a need to see a rheumatologist, and now my neurologist is not in my plan. Really, no joke, that's just my life. Anyway, you may not hit a road block there, so long as you're part of a group plan.

I think your goals for furthering your profession sound fascinating. I'd hate to think you wouldn't be able to pursue them due to fears of medical bills. It is true that you can cobra (what I'm currently doing) its 2X the rate I paid as an active employee. With an als diagnosis, you will be eligible for medicare insurance, I am not knowledgeable about the specifics of how soon it would be available to you. (I need to know this for myself).

If you call the benefits contact person with the hospital you're currently employed at, that person will be able to verify the rules that would govern you and the COBRA route.

Good luck! I'm still hoping they're wrong and you actually have Lyme's..... :)

Hi Rose,

Lyme's would be nice, wouldn't it? I've started having full finger drop in my right hand. Intermittent now, but it's the same thing that just my index finger did initially before it went to constant drop. Now the rest seem to be going down the same route. Luckily, I only have it after I wash my face. Weird!

I don't go to Duke until December 2nd, which feels like a lifetime away, but in reality, it's just 1 more month. Holding out all hope until then!

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on calling my hospital's HR dept this week, so we'll see what they say.

My understanding is that you qualify for Medicare if you are not working. Qualifying for SS benefits and Medicare at the same time. BOth start 6 months after applying. It is hard to think of life's ambitions being cut short by this stupid disease. I'd be careful about talking with HR until you have to.

Sharonca

If you have good disability ins where you are, my advise is STAY. I don't think the HIPPA portability rules apply to disability ins like they do health ins. I don't think you'll be able to get on a new disability plan with ALS. Sure, you can get SS Disability, but my SS benefit will only be $1600/mo compared to my group LTD benefit of $4400/mo.

LISTEN, i had not been diagnosed with anything but ofcourse i was having a lot of insurance claims because of tests and such and they KNOW. When i lost my job due to the fact they would not accomodate reducing my hours i lost my insurance with BCBS. Then i got on my husbands insurance (BCBS) and they sent me a letter saying i was on probation for six months and that anything closely related to previous conditions would not be covered! Stay where you are, thats my advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back