00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Cobourg
Toronto, September 20, 2010

The ALS Society of Canada applauds Prime Minister Stephen Harper's September 17 announcement on Global National Television regarding veterans with ALS: "I think I've been pretty clear that supporting our veterans is one of the government's highest priorities. We've been doing some internal reviews. We're aware of some concerns on how veterans who have ALS may be handled and I've certainly been insisting our officials look into how we can fix some people's problems. So you're going to see some action on that in the not-too-distant future."

Under the current system Canada is turning its back on veterans with ALS who have selflessly served their country. When veterans with ALS apply for pension and health benefits from Veterans Affairs Canada their cases are determined on a 'case by case' basis and are usually turned down. Unfortunately veterans living with ALS do not have time on their side as the life expectancy of those living with this horrific disease is two to five years. They have neither the time nor the wherewithal to fight the current system with a lengthy appeal process to obtain benefits.

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs provides ALS veterans and their survivors with full disability, lifetime health and death benefits regardless of when or where they served. In 2005, a landmark study was published in Neurology - a well respected scientific journal - which showed evidence supporting a service connection for ALS and any veteran with that diagnosis. This increase appeared to be independent of the branch of service and the time period served.

"I applaud the Prime Minister’s personal commitment to ensuring that Canadian veterans with ALS access the benefits they so greatly deserve. We look forward to working with the government to make this happen,” says David Cameron, President & CEO of the ALS Society of Canada. “We are optimistic with the Prime Minister’s recent commitment to our veterans that no veteran with ALS will ever be left behind again.”

ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a rapidly progressive and fatal neuromuscular disease that causes the degeneration of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. As the nerve cells die, people with ALS lose control of their muscles, which makes breathing, eating and even smiling almost impossible. Eighty per cent of those diagnosed will die within two to five years.

The ALS Society of Canada, founded in 1977, is the only national voluntary health organization dedicated solely to the fight against ALS and support for those living with ALS. The Society funds research towards a cure for ALS, supports our provincial partners in the provision of quality care for those living with ALS, and provides information to build awareness about the disease.

For more information:

Bobbi Greenberg
Director of Communications
ALS Society of Canada
1 800 267 4257 x 208

Coming from Stevie, I'll see it when I believe it.

Excellent for Veterans.. I wanted to know if the members registered on this forum who have been diagonosed with ALS have had any contact with chemicals, pesticides or all toxins premiliary in your workplace or elsewhere. I am trying to conduct some research on ALS and would appreicate some information.
thanks

"I wanted to know if the members registered on this forum who have been diagonosed with ALS have had any contact with chemicals, pesticides or all toxins premiliary in your workplace or elsewhere."

Who, in the western world, hasn't been exposed to chemicals, pesticides and toxins? Weed killers for our lawns, cleaning chemicals for our houses, and just general exposure to all of the stuff floating around in the air and water, toxins are everywhere. Good luck with your research.

My husband is a US veteran- I would echo Barry's comment regarding exposures. While the exposures a soldier has to face in their line of duty is not the same as our every day exposures Barry has referred to, the US Veterans system has not identified any one specific EXPOSURE as THE cause. Bucky is and was very concerned with his exposure to the burnpits in Iraq, but studies are showing burnpit exposures are more likely to cause medical problems with people who have certain pre-morbid conditions (asthma for example) and more frequently upper respiratory complications and some higher incidence in some cancers...

all that to say they do not connect any toxic exposures to ALS...yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back