Not open for further replies.

JEB1979

Country
US
State
PR
City
San Juan
Hi guys. I posted here last year since at the end of March of last year I started having widespread fasciculations. They were strongest/most constant in my calves but were also occurring in other parts of my body.

I went to a neurologist, who detected the fascics but couldn't figure out what was causing them. I ended up going to another neurologist for a second opinion, and she had me sent over to get an EMG done, the results were neuropathy of the legs, which didn't explain the body-wide fasciculations, which the neuro attributed to stress.

I was diagnosed wih neurontin and was sent on my way.

Last week I had a follow-up appointment with my GI, who noticed my reflexes were abnormal - he said they were "brisk."

This morning as I was taking a shower, I noticed there's an indentation in the left side of my stomach, just below my abdomen. It's pretty noticeable. I showed it to a family member, who agreed that she could see it, but brushed it off saying that no human being is symmetrical, etc. But the thing is, I didn't have this before! I'm just noticing it now, but this is somehing that's happened really recently.

I suppose this, combined with the brisk reflexes, has got me nervous. I'm just venting here, and I'm going to try to see if I can make an appointment with my neuro on Monday morning (I have a follow-up with her, but it's not until July).

Just nervous, worried...I know that brisk reflexes plus fasciculations are not a good sign.

Did your GI use the word "abnormal", or did you? Brisk symmetrical reflexes can be normal, and can definately be attributed to stress, and/or some people have naturally brisk reflexes.

Our bodies change over time, due to many different reasons. And if you have benign fasics ( due to BFS, stress etc ) you can get indentations and changes in your body due to that. From what I have learned, ALS do not present with bodywide fasics.

I presume you have had bloodwork done and your thyroid checked to rule out anything happening due to that.

The doctor said it was strange (I don't remember if he specifically uses the word abnormal), especially because when he checked my reflexes last year, they were diminished.

Bloodwork was all normal, the first thing they checked was the thyroid.

This weird indentation in the stomach is definitely new, and I haven't been having many fascics in the abdomen area (though I have had some).

Let your neuro do the diagnosing.
And stop worrying. Anxiety can cause all kinds of symptoms that only complicate the diagnosis.
Your doctors have looked at you and didn't see any MND, and your symptoms don't sound particularly like ALS to me, so try to mellow out until the neuro can have another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back