Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I've long been amused at how upset women can get when they show up to a function and see someone wearing a dress they own and looking better in it.

So today, Day 2 of ALS Public Policy Converency 2016, our dear friend Chally shows up wearing his clown gear (always a big hit, even without the dreadlocks). I kept finding myself looking at his shirt, trying to figure out why it looks so familiar. It took hours before it finally hit me--I used to have THAT SAME SHIRT. Beth, his wife, confirmed that it's a woman's shirt and that he gets most of his wild gear from thrift shops. I had to share with him that I had a friend who used to call it my "the dog threw up on my homework shirt".

I wish I'd taken a picture of him.

The hard part--it looked better on him than it ever did on me.

Becky
Queen of Everything

The crazier the shirt the better. In the last two years I made it my personal priority to bring purple paisley back in style! :)

That's a wonderful anecdote. I'm glad there are some here who are at the advocacy conference. Aside from the cutting edge fashion (very sophisticated and Continental to dispense with silly labels such as "woman's shirt"- right on Chally!) is there anything new and cutting edge being discussed at the conference? I've read some pretty scathing things other places about the effectiveness of the advocacy of ALS Association and I'd love to hear some positive stuff happening. While I'm in Canada, anything that happens in such a small community would colour decisions and activities made by our own society, I'd bet.

I so wish you had taken a photo!!!

I hate it when I see someone wearing something I own and it looks better on them than me, which is most of the time lol

Luckily I don't wear terribly distinctive clothing so it doesn't really happen often - I mean you can't look at every other person in a skirt and singlet top and think it's the same as your own ;)

Oh I have a black and purple paisley skirt I just love Pete!

Shiftkicker, our goals for tomorrow are:

- Eliminating the 5 month waiting period for SSDI for PALS
- Reversing CMS's plan to apply competitive bidding pricing to complex rehab equipment (which means paying what low bid on standard equipment would be for our powerchair add-ons)
- Providing incentives to drug companies to look at existing drugs that have been shelved because their patents expired. THere may be something that's been shelved that will help, but it's not economically feasible to pursue it because of how much time has already passed.

We missed several of the sessions this year because of progression--hubby just can't put in an entire day--but I caught enough to be very impressed with the progress that's been made in the past year. Money from the Ice Bucket Challenge has enabled some very exciting research and collaboration on a global scale. I believe the presentations were video taped and will be available on the ALSA website. Well worth a look!!

Becky
Queen of Everything (except sleep)

I started my "personal pub" time early today, a glass of Merlot and Chili.

I wish I was better at putting pictures up on site! I stayed in clown mode dress all through out conference just to brighten up our days, and on the hill.
Quick story! Down in the tunnels ( yes, it's all tunnels under Capitol and both side of congress. Well I had to hit the " John" just # 1 but the bathroom was really small and many men in and out well I got to a stall finished up sat back down in pwc and tried to back out. Forgot it was in a high gear and went crashing through the door behind me. Scared the $ hit out of the guy in there as I broke the latch .ha,ha he freaked out not knowing what was going on and the cops came busting in only to see a clown in a wheel chair jammed between wall and commode . Ha ha ha they helped me out and I apologize to the guy the cop laugh and said it made his day and that they will send me a bill. Lol chally

I just split my sides laughing, Chally. That sounds like a Matt move!! Thanks for carrying the torch, as he handled the chair a lot better this year (with the exception of jamming into the dining room table and moving it six inches (without spilling anything!).

I just love the vision of a clown in a wheelchair destroying a public toilet, complete with the cops racing to the scene!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back