Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Harrisonburg
Occasionally I enjoy this disease (at least at this point). It’s the challenges: as my hands and legs weaken, it takes some skill, planning, and foresight to accomplish the daily chores and jobs that need to be done. Though I am cautious in what I attempt, fearing a fall or injury that would only make things much worse, I do consider it a privilege and a duty to do the best I can with what powers I have left.

The other day I actually grinned to myself as I maneuvered around the kitchen, cleverly deciding exactly what I needed to carry from the cabinet to the counter, and then from the counter to the sink, etc.

OK- so maybe I will not be so pleased with myself a month or a year from now when I start spilling stuff or stumbling. But for now, I am determined to enjoy it while I can.

Utility Man (John)

Hi, John ...

What a great attitude! And a great reminder to "stay in today."

I had been dreading this disease so much, and found to my surprise that the day after diagnosed was pretty much like the day before diagnosed! No thunderbolts came from the sky, I didn't fall over dead. (Yet :))

Right now for me it's a question of logistics, too ... It takes creativity to get done what needs to be done, and work around obstacles. I'm pleased (and relieved) when I manage to get another fairly decent meal on the table. One more little battle won.
Hang in there!
BethU

Well said John, keep it up! Enjoy every day. That reminds me, my wife wants me to make a "bucket list" soon.

You guys are very inspiring! A "bucket list" is a great idea, especially if we can keep updating it every year! (You know: cross some things off but add more...)

I too am enjoying getting over one hurdle at a time! I was just school shopping with my 7 and 14 yr olds, when a friend of mine seemed surprised to see me! I asked her why she looked like she had seen a ghost-she told me "the way they talked..." , I quickly reminded her that I wasn't dead yet!

We had a good laugh, and I didn't even cry!

Blessings to all,
Keep the faith,
brenda

Good for you

Great Post. Everyday I wake up breathing is a good day.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back