CALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
St Thomas
Hi There
My boyfriend was diagnosed with ALS in 2004 at the age of 25 and he can usually come up with great ideas for doing regular things in different ways adapted to his needs. We have an issue now that we cannot figure out and I wondered if anyone could help us.
We purchased a lift chair and have put it in our living room to make it easier for him to get up and down when I am not home. However, we can't get his butt back far enough in the chair to make it comfortable and so that he doesn't slide forward. Are there any other options for chairs that work better? Or ways to sit a little more easily?
If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks, Lindsay

This is my first post ever in the forums.

My wife was diagnosed 6/07. We now have 2 lift chairs. She has a long torso and one she will not use because the distance from the front of the chair to the back is to short. We went to our local medical supply and found a lift chair the fit her. We now use that all the time.

thank you! Do you know what brand the new one is that is working for you?

in the UK we get a loan riser chair from the mnd association. They do measure you before they send you one so it comes the right size for you, so I guess it is important that the right size is bought.

lifting cushion

Automatic Lifting Cushion™

This self-powered lifting cushion helps you gently seat or raise yourself from a chair, sofa or bench without assistance! It's easy to use. Simply begin to stand and the Automatic Lifting Cushion's hydro-pneumatic power automatically activates, providing safe, controlled support as it lifts up to 70% of your weight. It's so light and portable you can take it anywhere, indoors or outdoors, for help in the kitchen, dining room and living room, as well as parks, restaurants and more. It features a high-density foam cushion that molds to your body for extra comfort, adds only 2" to the height of your seat, and flattens for easy transport. Comes with machine-washable polyester cover with non-slip bottom and carry handle. Supports up to 340 lbs. No batteries or electricity required. 19" x 17" x 2".
95-220 lbs. $99.99 200-340 lbs. $119.99

Insurance

This is my first post ever in the forums.

My wife was diagnosed 6/07. We now have 2 lift chairs. She has a long torso and one she will not use because the distance from the front of the chair to the back is to short. We went to our local medical supply and found a lift chair the fit her. We now use that all the time.

Did your insurance pay for this? My sister was diagnoised in Dec.08' and no one will advise her as to what she needs. She has a three prone cane and a push tray like chair. she is unstable. Please sugguest.

Kathy T.

Hi, Kathy-

I think the lift chair that paulw maybe talking about is a recliner-like chair, that has an electric mechanism that allows you to recline to various positions, as well as actually raise you up and forward to a standing position.

There are various brands, but I think the 2 best are the Pride Lift Chair and Golden Lift Chair. They come in sizes (small thru x- large) to fit the patients torso. They are expensive, and medicare will only cover 80% of the mechanism part of the chair (which is $300, of the $1000 plus cost).

Does your sister go to an ALS Association or MDA clinic? If so, they have "loaner closets" where they can loan equipment to you, if it is available. She might be able to get one thru them. Even so, she should be registered with these organizations. She will get much needed advice from them.

If your sister has difficulty getting up from a chair, due to weakness and balance problems, then these chairs are wonderful. Many other people use them as well- my Dad has severe spinal stenosis with foot drop due to nerve damage; I bought one for him and it has been a lifesaver. He even sleeps in it some nights since it can fully recline to a bed position.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back