Diagnosis
03/2022
Country
NZ
State
AK
City
Auckland
Hi, I'm keen to get views on ceiling hoists vs mobile hoists as we are about to do renovations and if we want a ceiling hoist in the future we should prepare for it now with the ceiling being redone anyway. Our bedroom is next door to the bathroom but you will need to go out one door and in another. So if we do a ceiling hoist it would need to go from the bedroom out into the hallway briefly then into the bathroom - 2 doorways and some turns.
Also looking for vinyl versus tiles in the bathroom. Think vinyl better if falling than tiles probably, and easier to clean, but doesn't look as good.
Thanks in advance for thoughts

I thought about this briefly, but did not do it. The den PALS is in is right next to a full bath. We live in a 1927 colonial. Den to hall left to bath. 2 ceiling headers, small doorways, small hall. Cant do. We have a PROTEKT 500 mobile lift that in earlier stage was used with a portable commode in the den. Now the mobile lift is used over the bed with a bed pan.
Google will bring up many providers.
Thoughts: distance PALS needs to travel and can they tolerate it; As PALS gets weak they will not be sitting upright in the sling and will need a very supportive sling and may be somewhat reclined for toiletting; frequency and urgency of PALS needs (we went through a time of diarrhea) and the mobile lift may be faster.
Do you have power outages? We do after storms. Our mobile lift holds a charge for a long time.
It would be useful to imagine every step in the process and the purpose/function of each stepto understand which is best.

Last edited:
We thought about putting in a ceiling lift too, when we remodeled the bedroom/bathroom, and didn't do it. I could imagine it being helpful but it seemed like an unnecessary expense, and we knew we'd have plenty of unavoidable expenses. We haven't found it difficult to use the mobile lift.

We put LVP ("luxury vinyl plank") in the bedroom and large tiles (12"x24") in the bathroom. Fewer grout seams makes it a smoother ride. The LVP actually looks great, hard to distinguish from a real wood floor but more durable and waterproof, and I think it's usable in a bathroom too. One note: minuscule thresholds still create an obstacle and a bump when rolling the lift across them, so the smoother the transition between rooms/floor types, the better.

Before we finalized our remodeling plans we asked the local ALS Association to come out and take a look and see if they had any suggestions. It was worthwhile, we made some significant revisions based on their advice and have been very happy with the results.

I widened all my doors. My ceilings are between 9 and 10 ft. I had a company come out and give me an estimate on the ceiling lift. Just bed to bathroom. You can get them with battery backups just like many pieces of medical equipment. My bedroom is ready for either type lift. I had to make my door from bedroom to bathroom nearly 9 feet tall so the track system would be easy to install. I still haven't decided. It will be based on funds and my ability to live here and get home health workers.

I took out all the thresholds in my whole place. Everything except the bathrooms had all tile so I went with tile. If I had to start from scratch, I would choose vinyl. Some of the other condos have it and it looks beautiful plus it is so easy on your feet and knees. It holds up to power wheelchairs, too. I don't know about the bathrooms but, if you have a choice, get rid of the thresholds.

Yes. Thresholds are an issue. Even a one inch bump.

We had an unavoidable threshold since we were renting. We used duck tape to smooth it out.

I know better!!!

I found a ceiling lift on Craigslist for $1,000. I paid $500 and it has more than paid for itself. We put it in the bathroom in line with the sink, toilet and shower. I have fallen more often in the bathroom than anywhere else. I fell this morning before church. I just lose focus and think I can do things like I had in the past. I pulled out the transfer board today to help me slide over..

The ceiling lift lowers all the way down to the floor and it lifts me to the toilet. I try to be productive when I am down there cleaning areas that are in crevices, corners, etc. I didn't this morning.

I have used the lift times a day for the past 3 or 4 years. If I remember my limitations, I pull the sling over BEFORE I get up. I was putting together a system from Harbor Freight. There were instructions on the forum.

We still have the regular "Hoyer"-type lift which Karen used to get me up when one of my grandkids ran to hug me and BAM! It was pretty funny. What isn't funny is falling, especially when I tell anyone I know to stay upright. They are pALS, amputees, other neuromuscular diseases.

DON'T FALL if at all possible! I have small hip fracture most likely caused by a fall. It is in the socket and not the ball.

Another vote for luxury vinyl tile.

In the bedroom, we chose a bathroom vinyl because I wanted it to be totally waterproof.

There are many patterns.

I think tile as such can be hard, slippery, and cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back