Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
I know this was posted by kepi in the Stories of Hope forum, but I'm posting it here too, in hopes of more people seeing it.

The Chicago Chapter

"Live for the Moment"

By Gary Wosk, Staff Writer
“Live for the Moment,” a one-hour special from Emmy Award winners Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett about making time for what is most important in life, will be broadcast Thursday, January 28 7pm CT on the CBS Television Network and stars a person living with ALS and his family.

Host Jeff Probst with Roger Childs

The show reveals what inspired Roger Childs, who is active with The Association’s Rocky Mountain Chapter, to live life to the fullest after he was diagnosed with ALS three years ago. (To view a promotional spot from the show, click here.)

“The ALS Association is grateful to the entire Childs family, CBS and Jeff Probst for raising awareness about Lou Gehrig’s Disease,” said Jane H. Gilbert, president and CEO of The Association. “The network and everyone involved in the production of this show deserve a standing ovation for encouraging the public to support research into new treatments and a cure for Lou Gehrig’s Disease.”

Probst, the host of the show, takes Childs, 42, on a series of adventures and experiences, including meeting astronaut Buzz Aldrin, watching the launch of the space shuttle, flying in a fighter jet and helicopter skiing that create special life moments with his family and friends. He is accompanied on the show by his wife Julie and children Brandon and Connor.

It is hoped that after watching Child’s adventures many of the show’s viewers will re-evaluate their priorities in life.

“Mr. Childs is inspiring in how he is living his life to the fullest every day,” said Sharon Matland, the vice president of patient services for The Association.

Probst and Burnett are executive producers for Jeff Probst, Inc. and Mark Burnett Productions.

Roger and Jeff hit the slopes

“One of the first things Roger said when we met in person was, ‘You assume that you will outlive me because I have ALS, but you could cross the street today and get hit by a bus, and I hope if nothing else our time together will make you realize that nobody is guaranteed tomorrow, which is why you have to start living today.’ I knew in that moment we had picked the right guy for our show,” Probst said.

Childs shares his inspiring insights during the show on how he now lives his life differently and, in doing so, will possibly change the way others live, too.

“All of a sudden you see life from a completely different perspective,” said Childs during the show. “Live life with passion as if every single day is crucial. The clock is ticking, get moving.”

Help us spread awareness by forwarding this email!

The ALS Association Greater Chicago Chapter
(312) 932-0000 - 220 West Huron Street - Suite 4003 - Chicago, IL 60654
Donate Now | Register for ALS Info | Visit Our Website | Contact Us | Forward to a Friend | Email Preferences | Unsubscribe

© 2009 The ALS Association. All Rights Reserved.

“One of the first things Roger said when we met in person was, ‘You assume that you will outlive me because I have ALS, but you could cross the street today and get hit by a bus, and I hope if nothing else our time together will make you realize that nobody is guaranteed tomorrow, which is why you have to start living today.’ I knew in that moment we had picked the right guy for our show,” Probst said.

It's a great quote but I would prefer to be hit by a bus and be done in one shot rather than see myself loosing my abilities bit by bit. Don't get me wrong I'm taking this disease head on, but still would have preferred something quick.

I am glad you posted this here too. I thought about posting it here too, because I think it deserves a lot of attention. I usually have to proof watch things on ALS for my dad because he does not want to face what is down the road for him, but I think this show will be good for him. I would love to see peoples input here after the show. I am excited!
Hugs, Blubear

Thanks for posting this. Eric and I saw a commercial for it, but totally forgot it was coming on.

Take care.

wow that was a good show. My husband died Feb 5 2009, almost a year. It could have been his story, like many other on the forum. All I want to say is PLEASE live life to the fullest, and enjoy it all. To you survivors of ALS, if you want to do something try your hardest to do it, to the caregivers the same, ask for help and you will most likly recieve it, to help your love one do the bucket list they want to fullfill.
Gary had ALS for over 10 years, with the last years being very hard, on him and me. I tried to make everyday as good as could be, trust me there where days I thought I was not going to make it, but we did with no regrets on anything we did or did not do, as we tried to make the best of what was delt to us.
I think I needed some bonding today, so I was glad I went on the forum and found out abot the tv show it was great to watch.
Good luck to you all, and God bless

Damn, I missed it. Hopefully can watch it online.

If someone wants to pay for my bucket list I would gladly do what he did.

Did you get it Joel? I couldn't find it here.

If someone can post the link to see it online, I would LOVE it! I was out with my mom celebrating her 70th birthday, and missed it! :-(

I don't wish to rain on anybody's parade, but I viewed the show "Live for the Moment", and just came away going, huh? But I didn't find it so much inspirational as a fluff piece for ratings etc.

I learned to fly on my own dime, and my wish would be to still be able to fly.

What is the value (to viewers) to watch a man get his "Wish List" fullfilled in a grand way? True, I would enjoy seeing a shuttle launch in person, but it pales in comparison to hopefully see my oldest son walk graduation at UCSD this Spring, and with luck my youngest son do the same in @ UCLA in two years time.

I agree with you about the show, I thought more would be said about ALS. It is hard to raise awareness about a disease when it is not actually explained. I would not take away a second from Roger Childs and what was given to him, but as I was watching I felt horrible that I could not do more things for my mom so she could have her wishes granted. I guess I thought the show would be more about the disease and the struggles people have to go through with this disease. I think that would have more of an impact on people and help to raise awareness. But once again that is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Dana

For anyone who has ALS or a family member, the show may have pulled at your heartstrings. On the other hand, the average Joe who didn't really know about ALS probably still doesn't.
He stated that with ALS you live 2-5 years (which we all know is not always the case :). They said he was diagnosed at age 38, he is now 41. So people unaware of the disease may think he could die tomorrow. (Okay, the guy WOULD be dead) but they really don't understand the horrific things that happen. Maybe they could have showed him attending a support group meeting where people could see the progression. So as far as spreading ALS awareness - did it really?

ok it was sweet and all, but i'm with joel......anybody wanna pay for my bucket list? lol

As someone else said, the goal of the show was not to raise awareness about ALS. It is a show just like Extreme Makeover Home Edition. In fact some of the staff worked on EMHE. It takes a family with a severely or terminally ill member and gives them a good time. That's a good thing. In the process it got ALS mentioned on prime time television on a major network. Again a good thing. Was it completely accurate to the ALS situation? No, but WHO CARES. For one hour possibly millions of people saw and heard ALS. Name me one other awareness campaign that has touched that many that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back