CBD, THC, etc Dosage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannabidiol
Tetrahydrocannabinol

Udo, i believe it lessened the spasticity bit i know it helps with sleep.

My wife just Got The OK for Medical Marijuana. Since she is on a Peg and really cant smoke anything oil will be what we are going to Try. I'll be watching this Thread as I have no idea what Dose to start her on.

I'll take a shot at explaining mmj. I've been taking mmj for going on 3 years now.
However, I do NOT claim to be an expert and urge you to be cautious.

I get my mmj from the Realm of Caring (ROC) folks here in Colorado. They have a Facebook page and have expanded to other states. They offer mmj as a concentrate or suspended in olive or coconut oil.

You first need to understand what the components of mmj are. There are over 100 different cannabinoids; one of my attachments shows the most important ones and their uses. Of these we are concerned about two: THC and CBD.

THC is the psychoactive component, the one that gets you high. Be careful with this one. THC supposedly has limited therapeutic value but my progression sped up when I eliminated it.

CBD gained fame from ROC's Charlotte's Web. Impressive story; it helped change Sanjay Gupta's opinion about mmj. This is what caught my attention. Google it.

Next you need to know which cannabinoids at what potency are in your product. ROC assays their product, see other attachment. This is where the DIY products such as RSO make me nervous: how do you know what the potency is?

The ROC products come from cannabis strains bred to favor either THC or CBD. As such, I use two separate products, one high in THC and one high in CBD.
Using the assays I know the potency of both, the THC is ~100mg/ml and the CBD is ~200.

There are 20 drops (of water, I assume olive oil is similar) in one milliliter (ml). Each drop of my THC product contains 5mg. The math: 100mg/ml times 1ml/20 drops = 5mg per drop.

Finally, dosage. I've not found a reputable source willing to say "take X milligrams".

My dosage (NOT YOUR DOSAGE) is 50 mg per day of each. 2 drops of the THC product with each of my (tube) meals and 4 drops on a wee bit of graham cracker immediately before bed. The CBD product, being twice as strong, takes half as many drops.

The first time I took mmj, I took the full dose. After ~90 minutes I knew I'd made a mistake. It took a couple of hours to pass.

Mmj can be consumed by inhaling (smoking or vaping) or ingestion. When inhaled it kicks in quickly.

It is very important to be aware that orally ingested mmj can take up to 2 hours to be active. The news is full of stories of folk who ate part of a multi-dose cookie, felt nothing after 30 minutes and scarfed down the entire cookie. Overdose.

I would suggest you start by taking a dose that contains NO MORE THAN 2mg of THC and waiting for 3 hours to see if you feel it. Work up from that. Add more doses throughout the day versus one big dose.

Where to stop? What should your final dosage be?
Damn good question. My dosage seems to work for me, your mileage may vary! ;^)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,422
Last edited:
Bloody iPad ... Here's the 2nd attachment. The assay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 610
Greg thank you for taking the time to document that so clearly, really helpful!

Yes.. Thank you. Going to start her at a very small dose and wait and see how she feels..

CBD = cannabidiol
Non - psychoactive ingredient with many medicinal benefits

THC = tetrahydrocannabinol. Gets you "high" with also many medicinal benefits

Oops - ignore above - already covered

Hi

Manding: my PALS 4 squirts equal about 1/4 teaspoon.

My PALS is now down to 128 pounds from 155 last June. I can't say that the CBD is actually doing anything for him. But HE feels better when he takes it. (it is something that he feels he has control over).

Greg, thanks for the comprehensive post. One thing I'd add about THC is there are 2 strains: indica and sattiva. My PALS has been on CBD with very little THC (and only at night) because he didn't like the way it made him feel (high, spacey, paranoid). Last week the doc said to change to sattiva because it's less likely to cause that. Haven't switched yet because we grow and prepare our own tinctures now, so it'll take a little time to make the change. But thought it was worth noting for folks who may have tried the indica and had same response as my guy.

One thing I'd add about THC is there are 2 strains: indica and sattiva. My PALS has been on CBD with very little THC (and only at night) because he didn't like the way it made him feel (high, spacey, paranoid). Last week the doc said to change to sattiva because it's less likely to cause that.

It is generally thought that Indicas are more sedative and Sativas are more uplifting. I personally cannot use sativa strains, they give me horrible anxiety and paranoia. I stick with primarily Indica dominant strains, especially for night time. There are very few cannabis strains that are 100% Indica or Sativa. Most are some degree of hybrid, either Indica dominant, Sativa dominant or 50/50. Unfortunately strain names are not necessarily accurate so trial and error is the only way. You may have to try several to find the right fit but I wouldn't grow a Sativa without knowing that it works him. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabi...brid-whats-the-difference-between-cannabis-ty

From an article about strain DNA:
"Pot is often categorized in two overly simplistic ways, as either an indica or a sativa strain. The indica makes you sleepy, the sativa, hyper. But that nomenclature is based on old information. Back in the ’70s, narrow-leaf sativa strains tended to produce a more euphoric plant, and broad-leaf indica a more sedating one. We still use those terms to describe characteristics of pot, regardless of whether a given strain actually has any indica or sativa lineage. “People talk about strains that are good for sex, or eating food, or playing with your kids,” Holmes says. “Some are good for arthritis.” But because strains are so frequently mislabeled today, it’s nearly impossible to know whether the Sour Diesel that once relieved your migraines is going to be the same Sour Diesel next time you go looking for it. “Very rarely do even the growers know what they’re growing,” Holmes says."
http://www.newsweek.com/2016/03/25/...annabis-genome-changing-weed-game-436526.html

Greg, did you end up adding THCA? If so, do you feel it is helping at all?

I took 5mg for 4 weeks, no improvement.
Started 10mg, lost ability to do standing transfers and went to full time BiPap.

Gave up in week 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back