Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
Has anyone tried CBD oil for ALS?

I moved this from the PLS subforum as you are asking about ALS and have ALS

I just applied for my medical MJ card in New Mexico. I plan to try a a combo of THC and CDB for pain and
sleep.

I've been using CBD oil for nearly three years. I added THC close to two years ago. I honestly believe it was the CBD that got me off Xanax (I had been taking it for 30 years for panic attacks.) When I added the THC it helped with back pain and sleep. I can't seem to get my dose high enough to take away most of my pain but my neuro encouraged me to try small doses throughout the day.

I take 25 mg of CBD at noon and another 50 mg at night. THC is mainly 5mg. several times a day. Trying to work up to a therapeutic dosage because the whole plant is synergistic. I use 9 pound hammer (Indica strain) because it's more relaxing/sedating and less activating than either hybrid or Sativa.

Tried the search. Must be using it wrong as I get no hits.

I met a doctor who practiced pain management in Vermont for 20 years. His last six proved to be a huge success in getting patients off narcotics and on to medicinal cannabis. He moved to Florida two years ago in anticipation of doing the same thing. He's not the doctor I currently use but he is convinced that it's important to use the whole plant because each component does something. He also believes pure cannabis (not the kind you buy on the street with who knows what is in it) is neuroprotective. I asked a neuromuscular doctor what he thought and he said if he had ALS he would get cannabis "one way or another." My local neuro was very skeptical but, after talking with other pain management doctors, he decided to offer a partnership to a pain management doctor who specialized in medical cannabis. They have successfully weaned off many of their patients of years of opioid use and they do pee tests to confirm it.

There is another product I don't see people talk much about but it helped my back and that is THC cream. I've used tons of it with no side effects and it worked much better than any other topical, including prescription topicals. I would say it works about as good as an Advil but localized, rather than generalized. I rub it on anything hurting before bed, when I wake up and after showers every day.

Thank you for sharing your experiences people.
Here cbd is legal but thc is not and I am looking into what could help. Your posts help us decide what we want to try. For now we are thinking of cbd oil.
Thanks all

I want to add as a precaution, be careful with the thc component.

I was using a combo of cbd and thc that really helped my spasticity, but I would be come tolerant and need to increase the amount over time. In general I found thc makes me a bit anxious, but the pros seemed to be outweighing that negative. It was like caffeine anxiety- a little uncomfortable but not terrible, and the rest of me felt great.

When traveling for a week out of state I went off it and left it at home. When I came back I resumed my former dose, not realizing that the week off had apparently stripped the tolerance I had built. At first nothing happened, but a few hours later I went into a horrible overdose. They say you can't overdose on cannabis, and medically speaking that's true-- you won't kill yourself, but in every other sense of the word I overdosed. I think ALS made it worse because my muscles became trapped in rictus-- completely rigid to the point of intense pain, yet I was powerless to flex or relax them. I could not move at all due to the full body rigidity. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest, and I was hyperventilating. I was trapped in my head in an utter horroscape of anxiety- the worst terror/anxiety I've ever felt in my life, and it lasted hours. I could not speak. My husband moved me to the bed, laid with me, and tried to soothe me. He had googled thc overdose and read that the hospital cannot do anything, and that that environment will probably make the anxiety and discomfort worse, so he did his best to take care of me until it passed. It took 3 hours before I could move or speak. And days before I truly felt myself again and not an utterly anxious mess.

It traumatized me so badly that I haven't even been able to touch CBD since then (this happened in july), even though I know CBD alone would not cause any of this. Even the smell just sets my heart pounding.

So just be careful with the thc part. It's not just harmless.

Kristina,

My guess is that you were using the wrong strain from the beginning. Good dispensaries will link you to the strain they are putting in the product and a good doctor will help you decide which strain you need. I can only tolerate Indica. Sativa makes me anxious. I've not built up a tolerance because I use very small doses during the day. If you raise your ratio of CBD to THC it will counteract any side effect of the THC. Even within Indica, I had to experiment until I found 9 lb. Hammer. That was most calming.

There are some people who really need Sativa. People depressed without anxiety, people with cancer who are exhausted, etc.

I had some edible hybrid early on and it made me anxious.

I like to think of CBD as a replacement for Xanax. It works as good and I don't experience any negative side effects.

If anyone wants to look over different types you can go to a site called leafly. It lists all the various types, what they treat, good effects, and possible side effects.

For everyone: Get the right strain, start very low, buy from a reputable dispensary, and consider the topical cream.

I wonder what the prices are like for CBD/THC Oils in the US. Here in the uk with our CBD only usually from hemp the prices vary greatly, I get the cheapest higher strength 25% of ebay from a reputable source hum hum ? from feedback anyway 30ml? £26 which is a fraction of the costs of some online sellers up to and over £200 with less stated %. Do you in the USA go by % also ? It is like minefield here I and we don't even have the real stuff. TIANDB

T,

The prices are all over the map, but I get CBD oil at $0.024 and my THC at $0.0625 per milligram.

We buy oil that has a set mg/ml.

when you purchase, it's 25% of what? How do you know how many milligrams you've purchased?

Kim,

When you refer to strains are you thinking sativa and indica (and ruderalis) as mentioned, or are you including cultivars??

T,

The prices are all over the map, but I get CBD oil at $0.024 and my THC at $0.0625 per milligram.

We buy oil that has a set mg/ml.

when you purchase, it's 25% of what? How do you know how many milligrams you've purchased?

Hi Greg.
I buy 25% CBD in 75% of Hemp oil with sesame oil as a carrier 30ml so 7500mg I take roughly 1ml ( 250mg) a day in four doses under the tongue 0.25ml. Complicated figures all our hemp CBD comes in % strength in a carrier oil. If you look on ebay uk site or UK amazon you will see what I mean by complicated. The labeling is atrocious some say high strength at 10% CBD or even 5% CBD and the prices well I have not found any as cheap as mine a lot in fancier bottles are x 10 of my price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back