Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
washington
City
chehalis
My hospice nurse suggested that I get a catheter as I can not walk, stand or turnover. My husband has to turn me in the bed several times to get me in a hoyer sling to use the bathroom. This is getting exhausting for him (as I'm not tiny) and is hard on me also. Has anyone done this?' Does it hurt? Thanks for your help.
Leslie

It may be a bit uncomfortable initially, but I think you'll find it a big relief to have one. The biggest problem or concern is the risk of urinary tract infection. Make sure that your caregivers do meticulous catheter care (your nurse will show your CALS how to do this) The catheter itself will probably be changed about every 30 days or whatever current practice dictates. Stay well hydrated and many recommend drinking about 6 oz of cranberry juice daily. I think one of our female members had a suprapubic urinary catheter so maybe she'll chime in. I certainly want one when the time comes that I'm unable to transfer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

They also make a female external bag you can use. On the line of a condom cath for men--non-invasive and a little less risk of infection. Not sure how well they work.

Catheters are an infection waiting to happen--so proper cath care is a necessity if you go this route. Initially, it may be a bit uncomfortable but that should subside.

If you get it--report ANY pain or burning--and insist it's cleaned properly several times a day--at least once every 8 hours is required. Also, have family watch urine color. It should stay clear and light yellow--no cloudiness or discoloration. Too light is too much liquids-too dark can mean too many--or infection. Cloudy means infection normally.

The bag and cath should be changed to prevent bacterial infection, too.

The good things--they can give you a leg bag that makes getting out and about possible and keeps your dignity--as the bag is hidden and attaches to your leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back