Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
My dad has a permanent Foley catheter and has fairly frequent UTI's. These lead to a hospital stay and maybe rehab. We want to avoid this cycle. We are being careful to give him enough fluids, drain it regularly, and using proper cleaning precautions.

We are meeting with his urologist and an infectious disease doctor to discuss options but from the sounds of it they do not want him on constant antibiotics because this could lead to a drug-resistant infection.

Should we ask about a suprapubic catheter? Could this help an ALS patient avoid UTI's? Do you guys have any other recommendations?

Why the foley? Does he have urological issues? Are they amenable to surgery? I could see trying to avoid surgery but the sp cath would be surgery too and although the rate of infections may be lower than a foley the risk is not nonexistent

He is unable to urinate on his own so he needs a permanent catheter. They did not mention anything about surgery yet, I would just like to know what options there are to suggest as well as pros/cons for those who are familiar with them firsthand. His Foley seems to lead to many UTI's.

I had to start using catheters due to a spinal cord injury. I started with a Foley because every time I was putting a new one in I got bad shocks from my SCI. I got 3 UTIs in one year and was admitted to the hospital each time. I asked about the intermittent catheter and my urologist likes the Coloplast Speedicath. It has a rounded tip and was pliable. It comes with a touchless cath. And it comes with a bag to dispose of, and is very discreet compared to a long tube. The issue for us is the cost. We were hit hard in this pandemic so the monthly cost is $171 after processing insurance. I am trying a new one with the same tip, but it is straight. It goes in much easier with little to no pain. Now to see cost and how to make it discreet to carry and use. I have to do it seated because ALS is getting my legs.

BTW guys, it is not painful. It is uncomfortable, but not painful.

The Coloplast Speedicath is only inserted as needed right? My dad used to have that but it got too difficult for him to use it and as he progressed the urologist wanted a permanent catheter.

Yes. It's as needed. I can't do a suprapubic because of my spinal cord injury and another reason I forget. I wish you guys well. I'll be back on the Foley when I can't use my hands. Scared me with the UTIs I had previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back