Status
Not open for further replies.
Al, my prayers are with you. Hang in there. I love you too!

Sending prayers your way! Nasty business, this! Hope you recover soon!

Capt Al ,

Sending you Cranberry Juice wishes for you to get better soon.

Glen

Capt. Al ... I'm praying for you, too. We can't get along without you.

Lab report positive

Finally got the culture back and I have a severe kidney/bladder infection. They have put me on an antibiotic called Sulfamethoxazole 800/Trimeth 160mg. I have never heard of this med before.
I think this was probably stirred up from the aid ripping out my catheter about 4 weeks ago. I was told that sometimes this can cause scar tissue to form in the urethra, from the bleeding, making it harder to insert catheters..
I have been running a fever and having bad pain in the kidneys, in my back it feels like 2 hands on each side of the spine, low back area.
I am doing better, thanks for the prayers. I believe prayer changes things and changes people. I am humbled by your concern for me. Thank you so much.

My prayers are with you and hope you are feeling better soon.

Capt. Al,

Hope the antibiotics work quickly for you! I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but have you tried those pills that are now OTC that "numb" the urethra? I think it is called AZO. That might help a little with some of the pain, if you are having the burning sensation. Can't take them all the time though, or they could mask symptoms of a new infection after this one clears.

Good luck!

Al, my heart just sank when I saw you again are having this trouble, and infection. You are daily in my prayers. I hope the antibiotic totally does the job this time. God bless you.
Ann

Hello,

I am a PALS, but also a Family Nurse Practitioner, and...I have to do intermittent self-catheterization. So I have a few observations:

1. An 18 or 20 French catheter is VERY small for an adult indwelling cath. I have used 20fr on 7 year old kids, NOT adults. I was taught to use a 12 or 14 fr. on adults Why? Because the holes in the cath are larger, and you can pass tissue (clots) much more easily. The fact that irrigation results in fluid around the cath seems to support this statement.
Going to a 12fr, with routine 4x daily irrigations w water would be my first move.
2. Having clots that plug up the holes in the cath leads to bladder infections, which means more clots...thus the vicious circle. You should have a urine culture & sensitivity for bacteria, then be treated with the appropriate antibiotic.
3. If your cath is getting plugged up, your urine is not passing freely, and it can back up to the ureters & kidneys & damage/infect them. This can be VERY serious. Dialysis and ALS do not equal a good quality of life!.
4. Once urine is flowing w a bigger cath, drink at least 2 quarts of water daily. You can't let the urine get concentrated.
5. Watch your blood pressure. Higher than normal BP could mean kidney problems.

I have used an indwelling cath for up to 45 days in a row, with no problems. Simply put, you are not getting adequate medical/nursing care.

If I am being too blunt, I apologize. As a PALS and a (male) RN & Nurse Practitioner, it angers me that they are allowing you to suffer when it it not necessary.

PM me if you want to discuss this opinion.

take care,
gramps

whoops, I forgot one suggestion:

If you continue to have the bladder spasms, ask for B & O suppositories. They are actually Belladonna & Opium, and will help a great deal w the spasms. The Belladonna helps stop the spasms, ans the opium settles the area doen a bit.

God bless you,
gramps

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. One question is a 14 smaller or larger than the 18? You say the 14 has larger hole opening, did I understand that right? Just learning all this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back