Status
Not open for further replies.
catherazation problems with spcinhter

Relief at last, thank God Almighty relief at last. Sorry for so much detail but if anyone else is having or will have this problem, I wanted you to know the possible options. These bladder spasms are very painful.:shock:

My problems may all be related to the spcinhter muscle spasms and enlarged prostrate.
Went to VA hospital yesterday and spent about 4 hours there while they figured things out. Their solution for now was to go to a much larger catheter. Size 23. Did not know there were bigger ones, but they say they go even larger than that. They wanted to try this while waiting to get me an appointment with the urologist. It seems also that I may have the problem described below. that can be solved by a special Cather called a COUDE that is curved on the end.:shock:

Urology - catherazation problems with spcinhter
Expert: Arthur Goldstein, M.D. - 7/19/2007

Question
QUESTION: I am a 35yr, old quadriplegic who catheterize to urinate. But I have been having problems get my catheter to pass my spcinhter at times. It's tight as soon as I insert my catheter. I have tried using flomax and I'm presently taking uroxatral but my problem continues every so many days it's like it has a mind of it's own. Help please.

ANSWER: Jay, although you did not state your sex, I am going to assume that you are a male. My suspicion is that you either have a stricture (narrow area in the urethra secondary to scar tissue) or some early enlargement of the prostate that is causing the difficulty. The diagnosis can easily be made by your urologist if he does a cystoscopy. For a stricture, the treatment would be periodic dilations. However, the more likely scenario is that it is your prostate is causing the problem. This can usually be resolved by using a special type of catheter with a COUDE (curved) type end. With insertion, the curve should be facing upward so that as it rides through and over the prostate gland the tip is pointing upward towards the ceiling. These catheters are readily available but it might require a prescription and demonstration of use by your urologist. I would try the COUDE catheter first. if this doesn't wok for you, your urologist would have to check you further. If the COUDE is successful and you just take the Uroxatral to make insertion easier, you probably could discontinue this if okay with your urologist. Good luck.

I had a Foley placed 5 days ago. I can't find a way to sit comfortably. Tips anybody?

Foley pains?

They change my Foley about every 30 days. When they do this it hurts for about 3 days after the procedure. I think it is more like an irritation pain than position pain. After that I usually cannot feel it inside my bladder unless they insert it too far and it is lying against the back wall.
You may want to ask your urologist about this if it does not go away soon. I wish I could be more help.

I couldn't take it anymore so I called the VNA. The nurse who came guessed the first cath wasn't placed in far enough. She replaced it. Problem solved. Whew!

The worse story that could happen with a Cather.

For those who may be squeamish, I advise you not tread this post.
I NEVER IMAGINED THIS MIGHT EVER HAPPEN TO ME.
help.jpg

My hospice aid was preparing me for my bath. For some reason she forgot I had a Cather. You know what is coming.
She was having trouble tearing my depends on the sides to remove them before the bath, and she was in a hurry. Friday rush to get things done. She has done this at least 20 times without a problem. She grabbed the pants and tore them off me, she had the Cather in her hand with it and tore it out of me, or at least most of the way out of me. I of course screamed and asked my wife for a syringe to deflate the bubble at the end. It was only inside me about 3 inches at this time. I released the water from the bubble and it fell out and blood squirted across the room to sounds I do not remember coming from my mouth.

Yes it hurt like nothing I can describe. A golf ball size bubble trying to come out there? :roll::roll:
I tried to reinsert the Cather but it had already swollen shut. I had to go to the ER and have one put in asap. I had a size 22 before the accident, they put back a 16 COUDE and used a syringe full of the stuff they numb you with for stitches to numb the urethra before they put it back in. The pathway by this time had swollen and the bleeding had stopped.
I only tell this story to warn others of the possible dangers of other people trying to help you and causing a mess, a very painful mess. Also be sure you have one of the special syringes on hand that lets the water out of the balloon on the end of the catheter. I guess if you had to, you could cut the tubing and let the water drain out. Also to let you know more about these catheters:
Coude-tip catheter has a slight curve or bend in the insertion tip. Coude or curved tip catheter usage will make it easier for some men to thread the catheter past their prostate. Coude tip catheters are also good for anyone with narrowing of the urethra and that have any blockages in their urethra pathway.

This is what they will be using on me from now on because I have an enlarged prostrate and been having bladder spasms.

Thank God that is over and thanks to the ER staff for being so considerate and getting me back where I was before all this happened. It was the VA hospital. They got me in in less than 5 minutes and began work on me within 10 minutes. :confused:
WHEW........What a weekend.

Al, have you ever discussed getting a suprapubic catheter? You may know, it's a catheter placed through the abdomen into, I believe, the bladder. I'm really glad the VA hospital got you fixed up so fast, just concerned about the ongoing problems you're having.
Praying for you,
Ann

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having Al. I can only imagine the pain. I cringe just thinking about it. Hang in there.

AL.

Cringe thinking about it ... not even .. I still cringe at the word catheter.

Capt AL , I fell sorry for your pain, and I didn't even cause it. OOUUCCHHH .... shudder.

Hope you are feeling better real soon.

Glen

That was nasty!

I hope you don't go through anything like that again!

On the way to VA hospital Kidneys acting up.

Got test results back from yesterdays visit to Hospital. I have a kidney infection. Plus I am not producing much urine. I have a catheter so I can see how much output I have each morning. It was about 10% of normal last night. That does not look good.
Please pray that my kidneys are not going into failure.
I love you guys and gals.

We love you too Al, get well soon!

Thinking of you and praying for you Al! You are an inspiration!
Rick

Sending out prayers & good thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Al. Let's pray for each other as my kidneys are also bad. I always said ALS wasn't going to kill me. LOL. My kidneys might.

Al we all are sending mountains of love your way. And lots of prayers too. Can the hospital admit you and sock the IV antibiotics to you?
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back