05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
help.jpg

I have been having a running battle with Cather's. Being a man I first tried the condom Cather's. These worked for about 2 months. Irritation to the glue developed and I was forced to go to a permanent (30 day change rate) Cather. I have been on these for about 8 months.
I started to develop bladder spasms about 45 days ago where I would feel like I needed to pee real bad, and the urine would flow outside my Cather. My Hospice nurse said no problem, just needed to flush out the Cather. What was clogging up the Cather's tip? Blood clots.
It has gotten worse since then. They have put me on anti spasm meds for my bladder vesacare I think is what it is called, 5 mm.
To make a long story shorter, nurse has been out 4 times in past 7 days trying to come up with a solution. Spasms are very bad and frequent. We went from a 18 French to a 20 French still same problem.
Two days ago flushed 4 times and over 50% of the sterile water solution came back on the outside of the Cather. It did not help.

Last night a really bad spasm hit and I deflated the balloon and removed the Cather. I put on 2 pairs of depends and several absorbent pads for my bed and just let the urine go where it wanted all night. Just wore out fighting this battle.
Still in pain this am, I am trying to get in to see a urologist, but meanwhile just sitting in pee 24/7:idea:
Any ideas, clues, suggestions, :?:

Last edited:
Hi Al sorry to here of your problem, but it's ironic the wife and I had a similar conversation this morning. She's trying to avoid a cath, but can't wake me at night and wakes up with a drenched bed in the morning. Depends don't cut it. I actually went online line this morning and there are several sites for adult training pants. I thought I'd give them try. Not a good long term fix, but may help for the short term. Good luck with the cath. http://www.fetware.com/

i'm sorry you are having problems. I am trying the cath for the second time. I as well gets those spasms, not nice. Also went to a bigger one. I do get bypass once in awhile, but i grin and bear it. I was limiting my fluid intake to 1 cup a day(not good). would you be able to use a urnial cup instead?! Us women don't have that option, besides we can't aim...lol (little humor).

I did how ever buy sterile water and sringe and flush it myself. I do it every 2-3 days or as needed. The sediment i have may be due to the meds as my last test was negative for infection. That could help instead of waiting for the nurse. I'm not a nurse i just trial and error for waht works for me :)

well 2 1/2 hours after calling the nurse because it was clogged, i ended up taking it out. hopefully they'll call tomorrow.

That is what upsets me so much. when you are hurting so bad that you are crying and no one has time to come out and fix the problem.
I cannot use a urinal because I cannot control my bladder due to nerve damage years ago. I also cannot move to side at night in bed even if I could use a urinal.
Been using 2 pairs of super depends for a few days to let my urethra heal or whatever. Maybe that will work?

Not all condom catheters are the same. I think I remember you saying you tried them without success. A few PALS recommended this one to me.

The absolute best condom catheter we've found is Clear Advantage by Mentor.

Worth another try?

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent off for some more samples of a couple of types I have not tried before. Hollister was the one I had trouble with the irritation. It got so bad one time the skin came off when it was removed. OUCH.
Another thing they fail to tell you with some of these is they call them long term wearable. I found out they meant 24 hours max wear time. What has been your experience on time before change?
Thanks

If it does not come off easily then leave it for another day. This was also recommended to me:

We have been using condom catheters and leg bags for about 1.5 yrs now. We like the ones from Rochester Medical--they will send you a sampler.
http://www.rocm.com/

First we used the ones with adhesive-sometimes we put a bit of powder on his penis and then they come off easier, or wait a day if it doesn't come off. Then we switched to their "natural cath' which unrolls but with no adhesive, then a strap is velcroed around it. We were skeptical but they stay on very good--granted he isn't active anymore so they don't get as stressed. And, FYI...they do--uh-- tolerate erections, for example during sleep and they stay on..they are built to handle that.
Regarding hair, we keep it just trimmed short (.5 inch?), not shaved--shaving is not really recommended as you get more skin stress--hair protects us

I am not yet using on so I can't make personal recommendations.

Condom Catheters and problems

I left the Cather out for 3 days, took my antibiotics, and the stuff that turns your urine blue which is suppose to make the urethra numb. I just doubled my depends and doubled the pads on the bed at night and in my wheelchair.
The urethrae pain slowly eased off and I thought it was time to have the nurse put in another 20 French catheter. She came yesterday and installed it for me.
I was doing great while she was here, we had flow coming through the tube and everything looked good. That was about 11 AM. By noon, the spasms were back with a vengeance and no flow was going thru the Cather at all. Flushed it at least 3 times and got out one blood clot, but most of the flow went around the outside of the Cather. We had initially put 10ml water in the balloon. I had discussed the possibility of adding more as a test to see if it helped. I added 5ml for a total of 15ml. The Cather max amount stated on the box is 30cc. At the time this did not seem to change anything. Over period of about 5 hours had bad Spasms and flow coming outside as before, nothing going through the tube into the collection bag.
Went to bed and hoped and prayed for the best. For the past 4 hours there was zero flow going in the bag. I had 2 spells where I spasmed and the flow by passed again. I went on to sleep after taking my pain meds.
This morning there was about 1/2 the normal amount of fluid captured in the Cather bag, better than nothing. I have been watching it for over 6 hours now and I am getting flow in the tube with very little outside the Foley. We are having to wait for the holidays to try to get in to see a urologist. Hopefully that will be soon.
My thoughts are that I may have closure of the tube because of my enlarged prostrate. That still does not explain the many blood clots?
My nurse said she has had bad results with her patients over a 15 year period using the condom Cather's. I also had trouble with them coming off or irritation from the adhesive. I have ordered from three different brands to try them again. Anything that works at this point I am giving a chance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Blood clots are not normal! Go to the emergency department to have proper care! The The blood clots are probably obstructing the catheter and causing the bladder spasms!
Patsy

All these Doctors and nurses here are saying blood clots are to be suspected in the urine with a catheter? I'm confused.
It didn't flow but about 1/10 the volume it was suppose to last night. Guess the only solution now is the Urologist or ER.
Thanks again.

I am a old urology nurse and I can tell you that blood clots are not normal. You should not have to suffer spasms and urine bypass incontinence! I wish I could help you more, sorry.
Patsy

Al, you are in my prayers. Tomorrow, if you haven't had the ER trip, I pray you will get someone like "Nurse Patsy" in the above post, who knows what they're doing... May God go before you and make the path.
Love,
Ann

Thank you so much. That is good to know. I am trying to get in to see Urologist soon.
I guess in many things I have learned to be a skeptic in my old age. Trust but verify. And never depend on just one opinion.:-|

Well aint that a pisser !

Hope it gets resolved real soon.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back