Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
Idaho
City
Leadore
Our ALS group loaned a Sara Stedy sit to stand assist. My CALS and I both think this will be a great tool for us. The only issue we have is that it is difficult to use on carpet. We have been searching on line and can’t find a plastic runner that indicates it would work for a wheelchair or other medical equipment. Any suggestions for us?

Kathleen

I looked at online videos of the Sara Stedy. Basically it involves pushing a person sitting in a wheeled piece of equipment. Rolling this over a carpet would be challenging. You would have the same challenges running a Hoyer lift over carpet and even running a power wheelchair over carpet to some extent.

Since it’s likely that a Hoyer and/ or pwc will be in your future as well, the best approach would be to replace carpet with solid flooring in the areas where wheeled equipment would be used most — assuming this is financially feasible.

Otherwise, consider going to a place like Home Depot and seeing what they have along the lines of some light weight solid material that can be placed over the carpet as a runner. It could be plastic or something else.

How about an office supply store like Staples? They have plastic mats for office chairs to roll over carpets.

I looked at online videos of the Sara Stedy. Basically it involves pushing a person sitting in a wheeled piece of equipment. Rolling this over a carpet would be challenging. You would have the same challenges running a Hoyer lift over carpet and even running a power wheelchair over carpet to some extent.

Thanks for this. I didn’t realize that a Hoyer and PWC would have the same needs! So....off to Home Depot!!

Not having carpets on the floor is huge for us. It's going to make it much easier for the person in the wheelchair to get to places. Later when it takes more energy to move wheelchair it's helpful to have things as easy and unobstructed as possible.

Short carpet is doable depending on weights of the pusher and pushee. Shag, not so much. I just don't want people to think carpet is impossible for the Hoyer, PWC, etc. as we used these on carpet for years.

definitely the firmer the floor surface the better for moving, and for wear and tear (providing they are quality surfaces to start with)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back