Caregiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gina

Thanks for your encouragement too. Sorry I didn't include you with the last note:-D. APC

no two patients alike

i am responding to the post about the husband who's caretaker wanted to know how long it would be bef. he could not walk. my husband's symptoms began exactly two yrs. ago with one foot being limp, then legs weak, then back, etc. he can still take a few tiny baby steps with a walker and me holding from behind.

no two patients have the same symptoms at the same time as others.

jackiemax

depression

this is our 7th year. my husband is mostly paralyzed and advancing into bulbar- choking, slurring (and i am mostly deaf- so we bought a voice amplifier). we also installed a ceiling hoist so i can transfer him into and out of bed, wheelchair, bathroom. i have been on antidepressants for several years but i still feel numb and all the signals of severe depression. it is still mind boggling. i went to an als seminar and one of the classes was about what we have lost. i started with the major: selling house, early retirement, expenses, and then thought about candlelight dinners (dinner is not the same- he can't eat and talk), walks in the neighborhood, playing with grandchildren, tickling fights, laughter without choking. it was good to get it down on paper. i take effexor antidepressant but it doesn't seem to cut it any more. fortunately a friend has moved out since my last child married last month and we have a spare room. without her the house is deathly silent most of the day and little laughter.

i am so glad you have somebody to share this with. It's a long day for a caretaker going it alone. Write often and let us know how things are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back