Diagnosis
1/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Lima
Has anyone had trouble getting the patient to the BR and getting the pants unbuttoned then it's too late. That has happened in public. I felt terrible. I want my husband to still be able to dress according to the weather,very cold here now. I know sweats would help a lot,but kind of cold. Any suggestions? Are there any jeans or pants that have easy buttons or snaps? Need Help!

pants

We have been using alot of sweatpants with long underwear underneath. Buttons make things almost impossible. I searched everywhere to find khaki's or jeans with elastic waist for men. Had no luck. I think golf season will bring more luck with the elastic waist pants for men. If you find any..let me know. Oh, I also found fleece lined sweatpants that work well. Lots of elastic waist for women...hmmmmmm. Good Luck.

Hi
My husband had the same problem with pants we just used sweats at home and if we went out he would use a condom cathader with a bag stapped to his leg he never had to worry about not making it . He now uses it full time it takes the stress away. Good luck
Judy

Thanks. I wonder if Velcro would hold the pants up. We discussed if possibly maiking the buttonholes larger. Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate it. I feel the more I can make things less obvious for people to see the difficulty that he's having he'll still want to go out. He sometimes has trouble cutting food and holding a fork. At home we use a washcloth taped to a fork. He's not comfortable doing that out. Thanks for all of your input. :)

Velcro!

I am a firm believer that velcro ( as well as duct tape and hot glue) can fix anything - although the latter two would not be recommended:mrgreen:
Velcro would be a quick easy way to stick with traditional pants and people woudl not even know.
as far as sweat pants, if you get lined nylon pants the are quite warm and the wind proof nylon will cut down on the wind chill - I'm in WI so I know what you mean by cold!

But some velcro and cut off the button and add a healthy size tab of this great invention!:mrgreen:

Lined Pants

I wondered if those would be warm enough. I guess living up in Wisconsin you would know about the cold. Thanks :)

Hello, I'm a new member and I am unsure of where/how to go about asking questions/advice without hording in on somebody else's conversation. I'm a part-time caregiver to my sister-in-law who was diagnosed with ALS in October of 2007. Her disease has progressed rapidly. She has been confined to a wheelchair for almost a year, she's getting so weak now that she has trouble pushing the controls, she's unable to do anything by herself, she's on oxygen, and Hospice has stated that they don't believe it will be long before she's totally confined to bed. Her speech is getting worse by the day but she still talks about 'when she gets better'. She has signed paperwork, in her early days of the disease, stating that she does not want a feeding or breathing tube, or any medication that would prolong her life; only wants to be medicated 'for comfort'. Is it fair to her (or my brother) to let her believe she's going to get better? Are we best off to ignore her comments? OR, do we help her to understand she is dying, in order to help prepare her for death? It's so heartbreaking.
In answer to the question concerning pants: we find it best to put Jan in any type of pants with an elastic band (no silky material). They quickly and easily pull up and down. No buttons, no zippers, no velcro. Make sure the pants are loose, not tight fitting. Tight fitting pants are harder for the caregiver to pull up. Jan also wears briefs (adult diapers).

Vickaleesky, how wonderful that you are giving care and support to your sil and brother! Just a suggestion, you may want to post this as it's own topic to get more input from the Forum. I would just copy and paste the part you want into a new thread and then you wouldn't need to retype it all. :] Have you discussed this with your Brother, your Dr., your Social Worker? Maybe this is just her coping mechanism? You do not say how old she is...OXYGEN? She needs to be on BIPAP! JoelC has some excellent information about assisted ventilation. Just search in the search box. Are you certain that she doesn't want a feeding tube? A feeding tube improves the QUALITY of life! Please post your question again as it's own topic so that the entire Forum can support you. Hope this helps.

I question the Oxygen also. But my other question would be if she may have slight dementia? Whether she does or not, (if it were my husband), I would go with the flow as long as she is not in danger of hurting herself or caregivers physically by thinking she has really improved. JMO

Sorry she has this dreaded disease.

Thank you indigosd and brooksea for the information you provided. I've posted a new thread, but to answer your question Janet is 51 years old and hospice is the one responsible for putting her on the oxygen. I've never heard of BIPAP but I will research it. Also, Janet doesn't want a feeding tube because she's 'positive' that's what killed her mother; even though hospice aide's and nurse's have tried to convince her this isn't true.

Thanks again.

CJ... I asked the same question about dementia in the other thread he started... one of the big challenges of FTD for caregivers is the person really doesn't understand the gravity of their illness. We spend a good deal of time daily with "take slow sips" "don't put food in your mouth when you're already couging" etc. Last night my son turned to his dad (who was choking on water and about to take another bite of dinner) and said "OK look... no food in your mouth until you're done drowning." I personally believe if you need to spend time nagging, best it be on the practicalities. If sil doesn't believe and/or understand that her illness is terminal... why waste time arguing it when you could just be enjoying time together?

I have the answer to the jeans problem. Yes , there were a couple of really close calls before I figured it out.

Undo the belt
Down with the zipper
then you can get your whole hand behind the button/snap, grab and yank - presto they are undone.

Now , if you have not fallen into the toilet and the biz is done comes the fun part. How do I get them done back up if you need both hands to steady you ?

before standing up , pull up pants as far as possible.
stand up and lean your butt on a wall - hopefully trapping jeans.
as you now are somewhat stable , you can wrestle the pants up , again trapping them as they get up more between the wall and your butt
eventually , you get done.

hope this helps

Glen

re: the original topic If you do an internet search for "adaptive clothing" there are lots of ideas. Even if you don't want to buy new right now, you can see ideas for adaptations, that you could perhaps show to a good tailor/seamstress. We've had the "took too long to unbutton" issue and we're ordering some nice looking jeans and cargo pants that have elastic waists, and some jeans that look like they have a zipper/button fly, but are actually velcro.

I have found a company that has lots of adaptive clothing. It is called Buck & Buck. I have ordered sweat pants with double side zippers. It is still easy to use a urinal for my husband.

Karat

Last edited by a moderator:
Karat~ I am so glad to read your post re: pants from Buck and Buck. I saw those yesterday and considered ordering them for hubby. With your recommendation, I will get a pair and try them out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back