Reason
CALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
My mother was diagnosed about 3 years ago and had reached full paralysis about 8 months into the disease. My father had religiously been taking care of my mother's EVERY need as well as going to work full-time (for the past 3 years). In Canada, we only get 15hrs a week of Personal Support Worker help and that definitely is not enough. We always thought of a live-in caregiver but it seemed my mother was not comfortable as she felt she wanted to spend the last few moments of her life with her husband.

Unfortunately, the help was not enough. My father eventually drained himself and died of a sudden heart attack at the young age of 59 last month. He did not smoke, zero alcohol, and no health problems besides stress from caregiving. We all knew he was drained and just needed rest, but the opportunity was just never there for him since he stuck to only two duties - caring for her, and working 40hrs at his job.

Even I must admit, I didn't do half the duty my father was doing in caring for her. However, we realized a little too late how crucial it was to get professional help. My father was just too sincere and loyal to his wife and respected her every wish, even if he knew it would put a lot of stress on him. Also, my father was very quiet who never asked for any help.

If you are older and are a caregiver, please do not over exert yourself and please carry a balanced lifestyle with the caregiving and your other daily activities.

I would suggest the following for caregivers:
1) Exercise and keep yourself healthy. Involve yourself in activities to reduce stress.
2) Don't forget about your own health
3) If there are others around you to help, ask for their help. BUT, keep in mind everyone has their own lives to live. HIRE A PSW/NURSE/CAREGIVER if you can. Hire 2 if possible (day shift, night shift).
4) If your spouse is not the ALS patient, do not forget them.
5) If you are not the primary caregiver, invest more time in helping the primary caregiver. Set daily schedules and split hours between families. Sleep in some nights with patients.
6) Get any equipment you can to help the patient because ultimately it will help you too.
7) Write instructions on how to care for the patient, because if you go, someone will need to takeover that sudden instance.

Since my father passed, my entire remaining family has been caring for my mom. We still do not understand how he did so much for 3 years. It's exhausting, physically draining, and definitely affects your daily life. We are lucky to be able to hire 2 nurses and this has been the biggest help for us. That way the time we do have with my mom are memories that we can actually cherish.

Thanks for reading and please excuse typos/grammatical errors.

I'm very sorry about your father! It is very hard for caregivers that are spouses to let go and let others take over. I wish y'all luck in the care of your mother.

My heart goes out to you all.

So sorry for the loss of your father. What a wonderful husband he was. Prayers for Strength, Peace and Comfort.

Prayers for you and your Mom. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father and for your Mother's losses too.

asad, have you tried March of Dimes or Red Cross? They give extra care hours in some areas.

AL.

so sorry for the loss of your father. I know how draining it is. Fortunately, I have hospice for my sister now. Hospice volunteers come in four days a week for four hours in the morning to give my Dad a break. I have caregivers coming in the other 4 hours to give dad a break. I take over for the late afternoon, evening.

Asad, I am very sorry for your loss and wish that everyone had the care that they need. When you say here in Canada that's not true, maybe in Ontario but here in Alberta I have paid care for 12 hours a day seven days a week. The hard part is finding people who want to work but I am lucky enough to have the help I need.

I hope that your mom can get the help she needs too, this disease is awful enough for the PALS without everyone else suffering too.

Do you have hospice for your Mom? If so, they may have some volunteers that could help. Not sure how hospice works in your area though.

Sorry for your father...such a sad story. But definately needs to be heard/read on the forum. Hopefully your story will help other quiet caregivers who take it all upon themselves that they need to accept help too...it is so important. Take care.

So sad for your loss and ongoing hardships. Caregivers are so giving that they can overlook themselves. The love and devotion for they're loved can make it seem like no one else can care for the pal the right way. Caregivers have to take care of themselves first.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. What a true tragedy! May you find some peace in knowing that he must have really loved your mom and she knew that. Blessings to all.
Janis

Asad,

Maybe we can help with providing some homecare until you have this all figured out. If you are interested, please call me.

Stu
ALS Guardian Angels
949-233-3045 After 12:00 PST

Yes, heed the warning. Stress is a silent killer. I am so sorry for your loss, do not load yourself down with guilt. It will serve no purpose and you will be worn quickly enough with living your own life and taking on the caregiving roll.
I truly appreciate the list you provided, it is like checking in to make sure I am still OK.
You have some good leads here for help, grab on! Connecting early is the key. Prayers for your strength of body and will.
Juliette

Wow. What an eye opener. So sorry for your loss and thank you for the reminder to take care of ourselves! I am definitely in need of hearing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back