Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
I have been looking to see if our Echo (Alexa) can be used to notify me when my PALS needs something. His voice is still fine, but he has very limited use of his hands, so if I'm not close by, he has trouble using his phone to text me.

I found an Alexa "skill" called "Ask my Buddy". Here is an explanation:

Ask My Buddy is a Skill or Application that works with a variety of devices that support either Amazon Alexa, Google Home Assistant or Microsoft Cortana voice platforms. When you speak to these devices, Google, Cortana or Alexa will translate what it heard to text and passes along to a skill or application like ours. Once you have completed the setup you will be able to send alert messages by means of voice call, text message, and email just using your voice. Like: ‘Alexa, Ask My Buddy To Alert Bob’. You can alert all of your contacts by saying ‘Hey Google, Ask My Buddy To Send Help’ or ‘Hey Cortana, Ask My Buddy To Alert Everyone’.

So I tried it out and it looks like it may work. He can ask Alexa to alert me and I get a (canned) text message. It also has the ability to call or send an email as an alert. You can get 30 alerts per 30 day period for free or pay a small fee for upgraded service. I set it up to try out the free, and if it works, will probably upgrade.

Thought I'd pass it on to see if anyone else can use it!

Also look into 'AT&T calling' for both 'texting' and calling, and 'Alexa to Alexa calling'.

Also, the whole 'Home Automation' thing!

Take a look at the tutorial how to make app like Cortana, Siri etc. - <commercial link not allowed --mod>
I think this information could be useful for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back