Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
i met with a great careaide today who i would like to hire but I have a slight concern about her height, she is 4'9".
II worry she will have a hard time getting me in and out of bed and putting my hoyer sling on. My other careaide is quite tall, 5'10",so the way we do things might be hard for someone shorter.

does anyone else have a shorter careaide and can provide some tips on how to do things?

Both our aide and I are much smaller than my husband. We are able to get him into the sling fairly easily. Sometimes he sleeps in the sling; but regardless, it's not too hard for us to roll him on one side, place the sling beneath him, and then roll him back and pull the sling through. Once that's done, getting him out of bed is a piece of cake with the Hoyer lift. I would say if you really like her that's important. Both of us can do it by ourselves.

V

Trixie, I know of children who can operate a Hoyer lift if it is electric. I think it's more a matter of training rather than strength. If you found an aide you like, give it a go and see how it works for her.

Our caregiver is < 5’ and quite overweight. I worried too, thinking she’d only last a day, but I was wrong. My PALS has a hospital bed, so she can get it to the height she wants. She puts him in the Hoyer lift sling without my help. My advise is: give her a try especially because you seem to like her.

I’m impressed you’ve all found caregivers who are allowed to use a lift. I was all set with Home Instead to start coming in, then they called and rejected me because of my (new, state-of-the-art) ceiling lift. (We can’t fit a hoyer in out tiny apartment.) They consider me a two person assist because I need a lift. So wrong. I can almost do it alone. And I have to use an agency in order to access my Long Term Care insurance, the elimination period. After that I could hire anyone, I’m pretty sure.

I have a caregiver who's quite petite and she can still throw me around like I'm a stuffed animal.

I'm 5' and operated hoist and did all care alone no problem 😊

My daughter does a superior job lifting and transfering me sometimes better and with less effort than my husband...she is 5'2" and doesn't weigh much. She has STNA training and knows how to lift and transfer. My husband is strong but often uses incorrect methods. Strength and size don't equate safety and reliability.

thanks for the confidence boost. I have no doubt she can help me,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back