Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
NY
Suction device was delivered this morning. The teaching was limited to "connect this here, connect that there." I didn't think to ask how far to insert the wand, and I didn't try it while he was here.

I felt some mucus this evening and thought I would try it out, but in most of my tries, I felt no suction. Also I can't figure out how far back in my mouth to put the tip.

And then there's the problem that I didn't qualify for Cough Assist yet, and I have a lot of trouble bringing up the phlegm.

My ALSA chapter is out of all the stuff I'd like to borrow -- cough assist, hospital bed.

I'm not sure whom to consult to help me get the hang of it.

Have you tried looking for a Utube video? They are very helpful. There is a control on the suction machine to increase the suction but I don't know the optimal range myself.

Be cautious with it until you know what it does. If you don't have gunk for it to suck up, there's no point to it. You could try drinking lemonade or something else that brings it out for you. The pressure is up to you but you don't want to go up all at once.

If you get stuffed up in your nose, ask about an olive tip for nasal use.

Thanks, both.

lgelb, do I have to put sugar in the lemonade, or can I just add lemon or lime juice to water? I didn't know about this trick. Sounds exciting. It drives me nuts when I can't expectorate it.

I'd try both and see what works best.

Plus, the more lemon or lime you add for the same amount of water, the more powerful the mixture. So you can play with that ratio as well.

The speech pathologist said she knows how to use it and I should bring it to my next appt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back