Can't get rid of phlegm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ted, nice to hear from you. I often think of how you are doing and glad to hear you are doing well despite the feeding tube surgery and, of course, this damn disease.

Denis, he cannot cough it up fully but we try our best with the mucinex and fluids. Where we are at for the winter (Palm Desert), loves their happy hours, so there has been indulgence in cocktails for the past week. I am sure this does not help as alcohol is dehydrating. We will just have to try more water for Wayne. We cannot get a suction machine until we are back in Canada, unfortunately. That is not for 6 more weeks.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. : )

Bestfriends14 . . . . I have had a similar problem with phlegm for decades. It was so bad, that it caused me to get bronchitis or pneumonia several times. If I take any expectorant the symptom quickly got even worse. I've found that it helps to take an anti-histamine, but that makes me VERY tired. I now use a Trilogy machine, and when the phlegm gets bad - I use it without adding water. After about 20 minutes, my sinuses are dried out - problem solved.

Bestfriends14 . . . . I have had a similar problem with phlegm for decades. It was so bad, that it caused me to get bronchitis or pneumonia several times. If I take any expectorant the symptom quickly got even worse. I've found that it helps to take an anti-histamine, but that makes me VERY tired. I now use a Trilogy machine, and when the phlegm gets bad - I use it without adding water. After about 20 minutes, my sinuses are dried out - problem solved.
PERFECT as I have the same thing Triology and they always to use with water and I have never used it without waterr.
I will try that today
Thanks for the tip
David

Is this thick phlegm due In part to nasal drainage? I can't cough, sneeze or blow my nose nor clear my throat any longer. Do you have a suction machine with the nasal tube attachment? If not, I highly recommend it. Use a small amount of saline to moisten the inside of the nostril. Let your husband direct how deep and to which side the suction is needed. The more mucous you can remove prior to it draining into his throat the healthier for him.

Great suggestion, Innovative. My hubby's symptoms have subsided quite a bit. Reason being is dairy is almost non-existent now and he drinks a lot of water, tea, and juices. We had some really scary moments when he was trying to cough up the phlegm and his face would go so red and he would almost choke on it. Again, that has subsided greatly. For the future, there have been so many helpful suggestions that I feel well armed going forward and not so panicked.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Glad that your husband is doing better now. This site is very helpful as always. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back