Can't get rid of phlegm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol!! I just may wear such an outfit. I was wondering, though, if I don't do that smacks correctly, then I'm just hitting a poor ALS patient, thus adding on to the strife he's already experiencing!

I would certainly advise caution Commotio cordis - Wikipedia

i have seen it occur from a blow to the chest Delivered by a person not a baseball Granted it was a young child but still.....

My brother-in-law was hit in the chest while boxing and nearly died of Commotio cordis. His heart stopped twice, and he was in a medically-induced coma for weeks, with permanent consequences. Even before that, I never did chest-hitting. I certainly wouldn't now.

[clarification: yes, I would distinguish a gentle push from hitting, but the forward position is most important]

Last edited:
For me a little push on the chest/upper gut is a great way to cough. I am 50 and 5 years past dx. 5'9 160lbs. I assume everyone will use their best judgment on what will work. It's not a punch and not a great amount of force. I almost regret bringing it up. I am not sure who is being humorous and who is serious now. I was assuming that we are all intelligent people who could make the appropriate decision. I have found that it is very useful for me. If you're not confident in your ability, please error on the side of caution.

I'm only being humourous. It's the only way that my hubby and I can find tolerance on the day to day surprises of this disease. Jim, thank you for your suggestion. I will try it because the other things we've tried have helped, but not completely. As such, there's still a lot of phlegmy coughing occurring throughout the day. You are about the same build as my husband (except he's kind of "puffy" so 40 pounds heavier)so I'm glad you suggested this technique.
Thank you again : )

I'm only being humourous. It's the only way that my hubby and I can find tolerance on the day to day surprises of this disease. Jim, thank you for your suggestion. I will try it because the other things we've tried have helped, but not completely. As such, there's still a lot of phlegmy coughing occurring throughout the day. You are about the same build as my husband (except he's kind of "puffy" so 40 pounds heavier)so I'm glad you suggested this technique.
Thank you again : )
Thanks for the clarity. I was wondering 🙂 Humor is our friend! When I think about coughing, sucking it out isn't natural for our body, but coughing/pushing from within is. All the best!

Jim it is a great suggestion. As with any gathering of people you will find a conversation can take many twists and turns, but never regret bringing up an important tip, or giving a suggestion. I think most of us can slowly filter out the humour, and the important warning.
A manual cough assist given by a CALS can be brilliant - and yes it is a helping push, not a punch. It's probably good to clarify that in case someone were to think they would try it with a lot of force.
A great approach is to try it with too little force, and slowly increase the force as you practice with your PALS. Get feedback from your PALS on how well it is helping and confirming it is not actually hurting. I always found working with my husband, and getting lots of constant feedback from him - even when he couldn't speak, he could give me many signals that always guided me.

Just a bit of a different idea, in case it helps anyone else. I had a phlegm problem too until I stopped drinking milk. Might not work for everyone but it’s an easy thing to test for a few days.

Yes, you are right, dairy us a no no for phlegm. However, my husband loves cream with coffee and refuses to give it up. I think that small amount is contributing to the production for sure. If anyone has suggestions for creamer alternatives,we could try those.

Oat milk (Oatly if available) w/ a little sugar or syrup.

I have a problem with phlegm... someone told me about Horseradish (coarse cut prepared
Horseradish that comes in a glass jar and must be kept refridgerated). I take a saltine
cracker and put a glob of it on half, eat it, then the same on the other.
I like the taste, some may not, so sometimes I'll do two or three or another.

This may sound really off the wall, reluctant to post it, but it seems to clear up the phlegm
( and my sinuses) and works for quite a while.... for me.

I have a problem with phlegm... someone told me about Horseradish (coarse cut prepared
Horseradish that comes in a glass jar and must be kept refridgerated). I take a saltine
cracker and put a glob of it on half, eat it, then the same on the other.
I like the taste, some may not, so sometimes I'll do two or three or another.

This may sound really off the wall, reluctant to post it, but it seems to clear up the phlegm
( and my sinuses) and works for quite a while.... for me.

Please never hesitate to give your input! I love the idea of something natural to clear things out and I never thought of horseradish! Thanks! I'll remember this .

Thanks for this thread BF! I suffer with this intermittently too. I think it was mentioned already but keep Wayne well hydrated. Thin secretions are easier to deal with. When this happens we have had luck with the saline nebulizer. I would like to try the manual cough assisst but I just got a feeding tube inserted so that sounds too painful!

Hi all,

We are in the U.S. currently, so going into a walk in clinic us not an option. Wayne has a ton of phlegm that is not clearing. He coughs and coughs, but it's been about 3 weeks now. I've given him mucinex and pineapple juice to no avail.

His respirologist back home was forward thinking enough to give him strong antibiotics should he get a chest cold. He's on day 5 of 7 and things do not look too much better. We do have pre-existing travel insurance that he had before diagnosis, so I believe he could be covered if he goes to the doc. Has anyone's PALS or any PALS experienced this? Not sure what to do. We've had two friends die in the past week from pneumonia, so I am a bit worried. They were way more progressed then him, though.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Is he able to cough the phlegm up a little bit? I have a little problem with phlegm. I cough a lot and most times can get it up my throat. I have a hard time spitting it out. My doctor ordered a suction machine which is a big help. Don't know if that is something that would help him or not.
Fellow ALS-er

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back