Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Glasgow
City
Glasgow
Hi all, first of all I can't believe I am on this but it seems it may help me either relax me, I am male 30 years old just turned. This is something I have thought about every single day when I first wake up to when I go to sleep. It's already had an impact on my life, I have lost my girlfriend because she thinks I am not well in the head because of my worrying plus nearly lost my job from the time off I have taken.

I started a new stressful job a year ago and was drinking heavily around 3 nights a week plus taking cocain most weeks too. One day around two months ago I woke up and felt like I was having a heart attack my heart was racing faster than ever and I was shaking very hard. I then woke up and panic. I knew in my head it was because of the drugs and I knew I had to stop everything. So that weak I decided to become complete sober of everything which I am still 2 months on. Now I went into work and I was struggling to hold a sheet of paper because of my shakes and weakness so I went to the doctor told him everything he said it was because of my life style again I kinda expected that. However I discovered a weakness in my knee and googled the symptoms and guess what came up...

Now from there I worried everyday a few weeks went by and I started getting twitches in my calfs mostly so again was worried and went back to docs then I got bloods done for usual deficiencys but came back fine and I said I wanted to see a neurologists.

Since then I have had terrible dull cramps down both legs and twitching l, I do get the twitches someone's in my thigh or elbows buy 90% in calfs, I thought i couldn't walk properly with sore legs and weak legs mostly the left one. So I thought it would be BFS becausethe twitches don't seem to happen when the muscle is in use however I do feel a slight tickle sometimes when I am standing. I have also noticed that the cramps are worse with coffee but trying to do my job without is difficult. I was in bed mostly with no energy for a week when it first happened and lost loads of weight everywhere but I can't say there is muscle wastage.

Only last week I felt my tongue was numb and I had a lisp sometimes but I am well aware my anxiety can make this worse however I looked in the mirror and notice my tongue was droopy on the right side. So I have been thinking about that so much every day but then thinking that is two different types of als one that effects the legs and the one that effects the mouth.

Now I do suffer from anxiety and I know it can make it worse I have full movement of my tongue and it's just when I stick it out it seems slant when relaxed. Now it's only been two months but I think it may be all in my head like everyone else thinks. I have been back at the gym and training martial arts again and seem to be doing ok tired after and shaky sometimes but recovering. I pray to God now and become more religious people say it has been an awakening I needed as I could have been died that night that I thought I was having a heart attack. Weather or not I have damaged my nervous system with the drugs and drink and lifestyle or not or its all on my head or I do have symptoms of ALS I think about it everyone minute of the day and really is effecting me. One thing is for sure when I go to the nuroligist and get the test if it does come back clear I will never Google symptoms again and I will never drink or abuse my body like I have done.

I am sorry for the people that have or have been effected by the deseas for posting this. God bless you all and I will do what I can from now on to make people more aware of this senses and was thinking of doing some charity work to raise money etc

But basically to sum things up I get twitches in my legs when they are relaxed cramps and pain sometimes , tremors sometimes, twitching in my fingers and eye lid also my right eye lid seems to droop sometime slightly when I am stressed or have hay fever but it is on the same side as my droopy tongue. Again I apologies for posting but it really taking over my life the thought of having this horrible desease.

Please read the sticky ( I know you did not before posting you posted in the wrong place)

Last edited:
Kudos on the drastic improvement in your lifestyle. Stay on your new course and I've no doubt you'll feel better over time.

Try to imagine yourself driving at highway speeds, then turning off the car without braking and stopping. But cars don't turn off without being put into parking gear, right? There's a reason for that. You came off coke without slowing down.

It's true that long-term drug use can cause motor symptoms like Parkinson's, but it also sounds like you weren't on it that long. And if you're doing martial arts, your muscles still work, as you realize.

I think your body needs to recalibrate, but you don't have ALS. I would look to your diet: fruit, veg, juice, light proteins like eggs; consider acupuncture or massage; mix some meditation or tai chi or qi gong into your martial arts. Go [back?] to therapy and deal with your anxiety full on. Take long walks in places you haven't been and reconsider this stressful job. Is it worth your health?

Anyway, you're in the wrong place. The right place is immersed in the world you almost left, the world many people here sadly miss. Don't be one of them.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for your touching reply, yes I totally agree I have started yoga and meditation too it does help. Also leaving my job next month a complete new me

Recently I have been concentrating so much on my tongue and speach and trying not to slur any words that I am making my self do it sometimes. Very silly and I know I am doing it. I just keep thinking my tonge is drooping at the tip when it is relaxed. I was sitting all day in work today and went for a walk at lunch time and behind my knee and tip of my calf felt very weak but it was ok when I walked to work this morning ,well not as weak. I know the desease doesn't come and go so here's hoping it goes. I am worried be cause of the twitching I get behind my knee is strong vibrations and the other twitching is like popcorn popping. But again I was focusing on my speach all day and now it's going to be my leg! I wish my appointment would hurry up and come!

Sorry to be a pain again but perhaps if I have bfs it is causing my leg to be weak as well

I guess I am posting this too so if anyone else is experiencing the same effects hopefully it will settle them too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back