Not open for further replies.

ALSGerman

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
DE
Hey guys I have read up on BFS and other conditions but my symptoms have been getting worse and worse.

1.5 Month ago I couldn’t feel my left side anymore.
1 month ago, before twitching of limbs and calf muscle started I had a clean MRI, it was limb twitching at first so left side mostly, now its also the muscles but mostly left side.
Lumbal puncture came back negative.
3 Weeks ago couldn’t feel my legs in the train, I suddenly had problems breathing in and a pain with breathing in, I had to call an ambulance. After that incident the trouble with swallowing started, tightness generall and harder.
I have issues and its extremely hard for me to swing the golf club or hold something
2 Weeks ago I started not being able to feel my 3 fingers left and right side, this has gotten worse every day.

From an age perspective it shouldn’t be ALS but the problem is I have had a negative MRI and a negative lumbal puncture.

I can‘t sleep anymore because of the twitching, sometimes I wake up at night, my girlfriend has seen aggressive jerks when asleep.

I have to add that my funnybone nerve doesn‘t seem to function on left and right side anymore, It doesn‘t react.

Hi

I understand your symptoms are getting worse, but the are not ALS symptoms.

Try reading here really carefully.

I'm not sure what your doctor thinks is going on, but you should return and talk closely with them rather than reading up on diseases as that will take you to some awful places without any real cause.

All the very best, ALS truly does not have a connection to what you are describing.

Sounds nothing like ALS, that's good.
I wouldn't say having a negative MRI and a negative lumbal puncture is a problem. It probably cleared you of a host of serious conditions including of multiple sclerosis, something I would not recommend having.

What did the paramedics say about the train incident? Sounds like a classic panic attack to me. Are you following up on this?

Your name already tells you're not approaching your symptoms with an open mind.

Last edited:
Hey,

A small update, I have developed a limp in my left leg, the twitching is still going on and i cant sleep at night, I have a hard time sometimes holding things but the biggest surprise is that my swallowing got bit worse and my tongue is becoming numb.

Any ideas what is going on? I will have a neuro appointment on monday and I hope to be able to have a emg right away.

Let us know what the neurologist says. I would be very surprised if ALS were in the picture.

What did the paramedics say about the train incident? Sounds like a classic panic attack to me. Are you following up on this?
I'll post my question again because I would be really interested in hearing about this.

Your doctor can tell you more with one visit than we ever could, but your symptoms don't sound like ALS but (apart from the limp) remind me of many people who suffer from health anxiety. Your symptoms are likely adding a lot of emotional stress which alone would make for bad sleep and weird feeling with swallowing and your tongue.

Last edited:
They basically calmed me down, I had this extremly sharp pain between lungs, maybe called the esophagus, I just couldn’t breathe in it would sting only shallow. If I tried I had to puke. After this I started having the swallow problems, and now if I take a jog to the train fror example and breathe deeply I still have to puke. This is for 4 weeks now. The muscle twitches are calf biceps, tricep, face and back, toes, inside foot. I have these whole limb twitches too though. When I swallow I also have a clicking sound on the ears. I know for certain it’s a neurological disease, I just hope its not ALS

I have absolutely no idea what your symptoms are, but you should definitely keep working with your docs. The great news is that nothing of what you listed is ALS onset from any of the many, many cases I've seen. The nausea and throat issues upon exertion is nothing I'm familiar with, either. Indigestion perhaps? Only your doctor can answer that. You have had your questions answered, so really, I'm not too sure what else the folks here can give you. In any case, please update once you get whatever diagnosis is the docs feel you may have.

Until then, take good care

Last edited:
Honestly, I have never heard anything that is further from a description of the starting of ALS than what you last wrote.
We truly can't help you as your mind is already made up, and you will dismiss all facts presented.
I hope you can allow your doctors to help you find the way back to full health.

They basically calmed me down, I had this extremly sharp pain between lungs, maybe called the esophagus, I just couldn’t breathe in it would sting only shallow. If I tried I had to puke. After this I started having the swallow problems, and now if I take a jog to the train fror example and breathe deeply I still have to puke. This is for 4 weeks now. The muscle twitches are calf biceps, tricep, face and back, toes, inside foot. I have these whole limb twitches too though. When I swallow I also have a clicking sound on the ears. I know for certain it’s a neurological disease, I just hope its not ALS
Puking when under strain would concern me more that twitches ever could. (As most of here I'm not a doctor, if I had to guess you're maybe will placed with an internist who can check out if GERD/reflux may play a role. Did you follow up on this with your PCP? You really need a good Hausarzt to take into consideration all of your symptoms and your mental well-being.

Why are you so certain it's a neurological disease? No need to hope against ALS, your symptoms point far away from it anyway. I'm sure you're uncomfortable and worried, but you probably have something that is very treatable.

Hey here is a small update,

My everything is slowly getting worse, I had my nerve conduction test on my arms, not on my muscles tho so no EMG in that regard. That came back rather good so I was pleasently surprised. I also had a second MRI again without contrast, it gave me the headrushes like the nerve was triggered.

I still have all the other Symptoms and the muscle twitching is everywhere.

I have attached a photo which could show split hand sign..

Next step will be to get a real proper EMG on my muscles on the left side, legs and arms.

Attachments

• DF116898-4886-49B2-BAE8-E1F549F34694.jpeg
    DF116898-4886-49B2-BAE8-E1F549F34694.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
Can I ask you to have good read here please?

Photos are not helpful for us, you need your hand examined by doctors. Did a neurologist diagnose split hand syndrome?

I hope the EMG gives you final peace of mind. Do remember that twitching means nothing at all. You are very welcome to come back and post the EMG results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back