Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
CA
State
ON
City
ST. CATHARINES
My family and I were just interviewed by Global National News to try to increase the benefits provided by the Canadian government.

Currently if qualified, a caregiver is only eligible for 6 weeks of compassionate benefits.

My concern is 6 weeks for compassionate leave.
Maternity leave is 52 weeks in Canada.

If a person (infant or terminally ill) needs around the clock care, the caregiver should be eligible for benefits, right?
The same as a parent can receive benefits to care for their child, a spouse should be eligible for caregiver benefits to care for an ill spouse.

When the time comes that I need full care, it will be my wife that will be my 100% caregiver.

I'll let you all know the air date when I find out.

Cheers,
Casey

You go dude! Keep us up on the response.

This is awesome! Great job!

thats great casey, keep us posted

Casey that is so great! The more publicity ALS gets the better. Thank you so much for doing this

52 Weeks Maternity leave? HOLY COW!

It is so hard to survive financially, to support a family, to keep everyone afloat, and provide the level of care that a PALS deserves!

That is great!

Global National News is airing the series on Compassionate Care this week.

We were interviewed for it, but not sure which day we will be on.

Hope it helps.

Casey, maybe you can find a URL from the station to watch it as a replay? Or maybe someone can youtube it?

I'd love to see it.

I have recently emailed my MP.
Canadian's, please feel free to copy and share with your's.

Mr. Dykstra,

I have lived in your district for many years, having moved recently due to medical reasons.

I ask for your help with something.

I am 40 years old and have been diagnosed with ALS, I am married and have two kids (boy 16 yo, girl 8 yo)

I will need around the clock care at some point due to the ruthlessness of the disease.
My wife will be my full time caregiver.

We have recently been more educated in the compassionate care benefit policy, and I am very concerned that it just isn't fair.
We have recently been interviewed by Global National News(Shirlee Engel) as to our opinion.
We have also been invited to Parliament Hill in the summer to give our opinion.

Current Policy:
"You can receive compassionate care benefits for up to a maximum of six weeks if you have to be absent from work to provide care or support to a gravely ill family member at risk of dying within 26 weeks. If you are unemployed and already receiving EI benefits, you can also apply for compassionate care benefits.
To be eligible for compassionate care benefits, you must be able to show that:

your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40 percent;and
you have accumulated 600 insured hours of work in the last 52 weeks, or since the start of your last claim (this period is called the qualifying period)."

My concern is 6 weeks for compassionate leave?
Maternity leave is 52 weeks.

If a person (infant or terminally ill) needs around the clock care, the caregiver should be eligible for benefits, right?
The same as a parent can receive benefits to care for their child, a spouse should be eligible for caregiver benefit to care for an ill spouse.

Risk of dying within 26 weeks? This is harder to pinpoint for a person with ALS. ALS is a proressive neuromuscular disease in which nerve cells die and leave voluntary muscles paralyzed, so one could infact be paralyzed for a length of time, and of course need around the clock care for an undetermined length of time.
52 weeks sould be fair (same as maternity)

We have recently moved in with our inlaws (Western St. Catharines - Malcolm Allen's district) in preparation for the progression of the disease, and the reason he is included in this email.

I am hoping to receive your support in helping to change this policy, as it seems unfair as it stands.

Living in Canada, we are known for being one of, if not the most compassionate nation in the world, It would only make sense our compassionate benefits for Canadians were as well.

Thank you for your support.
Casey Garrah

That's great! Let us know if it gets put on youtube.

Great letter, Casey!

Great Casey, Very well written. I wish you could have let him read the other thing you wrote that made me cry, the one about the progression of the disease and everything it takes from a person, It puts a lump in my throat even thinking about it. That brought it home. You already know you rock, you brought a breath of fresh air to this forum since you been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back