Canadian researchers have used stem cells to repair spinal cord injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIARA1

NEUROSCIENTIST DR MICHAEL FEHLINGS AND STEMCELLS
KREMBIL NEUROSCIENCE CENTRE AT TORONTO WESTERN HOSPITAL.
I found a article about rsearch this scientist is doing at this hospital for als using stem cells couldn`t get the article to post on here so you will have to look this up manually. but it states they used stemcells to repair rats .

best wishes
kim

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an article here from the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/03/28/spinal-cord-rat-20060328.html

Canadian researchers have used stem cells to repair spinal cord damage in laboratory rats, restoring significant mobility in the animals and bringing the search for a human therapy another step closer.

A team led by Toronto neuroscientist Dr. Michael Fehlings extracted stem cells from adult mice, which were transplanted into rats whose spines had been crushed.

-- Provided by: Canadian Press
-- Written by: SHERYL UBELACKER
-- Mar. 28, 2006

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long they must test it in the lab before trying it on humans?

Marcia

Being a US based study it is regulated by the FDA - and is based on numerous criteria for each phase of the development to ensure the medication or procedure on trial is not overtly harmful.

I'm unsure about the exact length of time between between phases; but do know it differs for each study based on results.

Last edited:
stem cells

This is not US based this is in Alberta canada so it can`t be US based. There is a study in the us using embros but i don`t think there using them on people with als yet. that scientist name is DR Hans Keirstead. and he is in orange county Ca. They had him on 60 mins showing him make the rats walk again i taped the show but you can go online and see the rats walk again.

BEST WISHES
KIM:-D

no posts

how come no posts to this it was very interesting.

best wishes
kim

Kim,
To see this online do you just go to the CBS website? Do you have a link? I also thought this was very interesting. From pretty much the moment we found out about my sister's diagnosed, I told her that I have eggs with her name on them if she wants. I know this is a controversial topic, and I REALLY don't want to open up some ethical can of worms, but I figure if it can slow and/or reverse ALS...I'll gladly do it for my sister...or anyone else for that matter!

I think I've read some articles stating that the stem cells don't actually come from embryos but they come from adult bone marrow. Anyone else heard of this or were these articles part of some wierd dream? :)

Marcia

Marcia, I posted the link to the CBC article above (6 posts up).

It's definitely interesting news; and I completely agree about "helping your sister or anyone for that matter".

I'd let doctors harvest anything replenishable from my body that would let someone enjoy life a bit more, for a little longer.

The story is very much legitimate, unfortunately, as always, we have to wait for results and approval before we'll know the reality of the treatment.

I took a poke around the WWW but wasn't able to find any more recent information about this research - although there were quite a few similar articles from March, 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back