Not open for further replies.

dreamgle

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello, I have read the stickies and I’m very sorry if I offended anyone here. I started having twitches on my right foot on Aug 31st for two days and they stopped afterwards. I also have some random twitches all over the body and my face. Then I’ve been experiencing some weakness on my right leg and right hand for several weeks. I googled my symptoms and went into the rabbit hole of fearing ALS. Then I went to my pcp who told me my strength was okay and I also read the stickies in this forum which is super helpful (thank you so much!!), and I was less worried and moved on. But, starting this Wednesday (9/21), I have been experiencing some fatigue when speaking and tired when saying some words. I don’t have twitches on my tongue but I’m worried about the tiredness and lisp when speaking. Not quite sure what slurred speech would sound like, but could anyone give me any advice on whether I shall contact my pcp again for this symptom? The pcp has tested my strength on hands, my feet, and my reflexes.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Rather than googling, you should always seek medical advice if you think you have developed a symptom of a terminal disease.

I don't see anything you describe as even beginning to suggest ALS, but you need a doctor to look after you.

Thank you for your reply, affected! I really appreciate it. Yeah, I actually went to my pcp on Tuesday when I did not feel tired when speaking. Then the doctor only checked my limb strength. I am just afraid I’m being unreasonable to go back in such a short time and think might ask here first for advice. I just would like to know whether it can be this fast like feeling tired in three days? Sorry in advance if I’m being paranoid and I forgot to mention that I’m 32 yro. Thanks for your comments!

No, ALS doesn't come on that fast or that way. Most likely after your googling you added perceived symptoms to your list, not to mention that stress doesn't do much for sleep, and lack of quality sleep tends to make you feel tired and laggy. Try acting as if and if things don't improve, of course, contact your doc again.

As I said, there is nothing in your symptoms that would even begin to suggest ALS.
Keep working with your doctor.
Another way to think of it could be: if I think it is unreasonable to go back to my doctor with this, is it unreasonable to instead take it to the terminally ill and their carers?
I truly feel that the first post asking opinion is good. After that, when the answer is that it's not even remotely like ALS, you should seriously see your doctor, but not only that, follow their advice. You don't tell us what your doctor feels is going on. Maybe go back and really clarify what that is and what path you should take with your doctor.

I wish you the very best.

Thanks for the reply, and I really appreciate the inputs!

The twitches on my face seems subsidized starting yesterday, which makes me very happy. But I still feel very tired when speaking certain words or a long time and swallowing. This makes me anxious about bulbar onset. I do take your words and suggestions and thank you so much for those! But I’m in the rabbit hole of ALS anxiety and I am already working with a therapist for this issue. I am going back to my pcp next week for the speaking concern and will update by then. Thanks again for everything!

I visited my pcp this Tuesday and expressed my concerns of tongue weakness with random twitches all over the body. I especially mentioned my face twitches and my tiredness when speaking some words or long time and swallowing. The doctor tested my limb strength again and the reflexes. She also saw my tongue and felt my jaw. She found mild click sound of my left jaw.

She ordered a bunch of blood tests including the one that tests for MG disease and other autoimmune diseases. The results all come back clear today except for slight positive ANA test which my doctor was not concerned due to my Hishimoto history. Anyways, she did not mention ALS type of disease, and I did not specifically express my ALS fear this time as well, because I was trying not to be paranoid and “tell” the doctor do things she has been working on for years. She did mention MG disease, though she told me that it was not likely either from her observation before ordering the test.

I’m deciding to follow her suggestions of whatever next step forward and try to relax myself from my anxiety situation. I’ve read other’s post on this forum and realized that anxiety can micmic lots of things. The people here are so supportive and knowledgeable and gave me much reassurance as well. I’m going to work hard on my issue to see if my symptoms can subsidize. Hopefully I can feel better with the next steps. Just wanted to give an update and express my sincere thank you again.

I'm so glad you are on a path back to full health, thanks for checking in.

I would like to give an update here -
After last post, I still have been experiencing the tiredness and stiffness of my tongue when speaking as well as perceived feeling when swallowing. So I finally visited a neurologist yesterday. I explicitly expressed my concerns about ALS this time, and he did clinical exams for me and told me that he was not concerned about MND at this point. He told me to come back only if my symptoms are getting worse.

While I’m still having the symptoms, I felt at least my anxiety level went down after the visit. I just wanted to give an update here in case it can be helpful to anyone who visits this site like me. To be honest, I am lurking this site very often in the past months - while people here are extremely helpful, I personally think it does more bad than good for visitors who are anxious about their symptoms but without a diagnosis from their doctor.

After this visit to the neuro, I am going to log off from this site. Big thank you again for everyone that provides me great suggestions and reassurance here! I deeply appreciate everything!

That's great news.
Sometimes it is misinterpreted that we are offended or upset at people, or take things personally.
I certainly don't experience that. I feel that straight out telling people not to engage in this behaviour but work with doctors is the only appropriate response we should give.
I hope you find a way to believe the doctors, you can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back