Can one person control a patient lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicki,
If you can get a battery powered Invacare or Hoyer lift, do that versus the manual lift. My husband was over 6 feet and weighed around 265 when we started using the lift full time. I was his sole caregiver and had no problem transferring him (I'm 5'3"). We used the divided leg sling exclusively. The electric lift saved my strength for moving the lift from one room to another. We kept the BiPap and all other equipment on a rolling microwave cart (from Target). When we transferred from one room to another, I pulled the cart along with the lift. We had a long extension cord that accommodated the move. I learned to use the lift by watching a U Tube video! I practices by putting myself in it before we needed it. When we did need to use it to lift my husband off of the ground, it was no problem at all.

Agree w/ Missy, get a power lift and divided leg sling. My husband is 250 and I am 5-2. I didn't have formal training either, since our lift is a loaner. Besides, I doubt that would have taught me half as much as experience has. Every environment and PALS is different. The only safety "must" is to position the sling in a way that the person in it is not going to fall out, i.e. center it. It has a center seam in the back that helps you verify that. The rest of the process is trial and error as the disease progresses.

Casahopkins, Missy and lgelb: You've given new life to the logic of a power lift in my situation. At this moment I am prepared to ditch the constraints of Medicare (power lifts not covered) and acquire a power lift on my own.

I have found some online suppliers with very good prices. The downside: I would have to assemble. Still, "reading the instructions" has always served me well. And although my husband would not be able to help with the physical side of assembly, he is wonderful with tools and mechanical things and could direct my efforts.

As for operating the equipment--it seems that it will come down to "practice makes perfect." Okay. It's not my first choice, but then none of what's happening in my life is my first choice.

Thanks again, all.

Regards,
Vicki

I found that finding a friend that is the same size as the PALS and training with them on sling placement and different moves was very helpful. My husband watched us practice so he knew what to expect. It is better to learn the hard way with someone who can catch themselves than to tire out or dump your pals. I am a small person and was able to travel the counrty with my husband using a manual hoyer type lift. We also had a ceiling lift in our home. Practice each move with your test subject. Little bumps on the floor can cause the sling to swing, hoyer legs may not fit under beds or furniture ( add blocks as needed), each type of move will have many check points that must be done to insure a safe move. Practice before you need to use it, stress after a fall is the worst way to learn. Be safe, laugh when it's funny as I am sure it will be, been there . Penny

All my caregivers love the Easy Pivot Lift. It is very easy for one person to use. There is a way to get a person in it from a reclining position. There are videos on YouTube on how this works.

Our ALSA Loan closet has many to lend. Check yours and try it.

Vicki, I'm sure you'll make out fine with the lift. As lgelb said, the only critical thing is getting the pals properly placed in the sling. This is pretty straightforward with a divided leg sling. I first tucked in the back of the sling well down so it starts to turn under the buttocks, and as lgelb said, get it centered well. Then I lifted each leg separately and tucked the corresponding sling leg well up toward the crotch. You can do this fairly easily whether they are seated or lying down. Just don't be shy about about working close to the crotch. The women who helped care for Annie had some trouble sometimes because of that. No doubt that it's easier for a spouse to not feel uneasy doing that.

For a long time I would first raise Annie up then pivot her so she was sitting on the edge of the bed. Then I'd stand if front of her and let her lean into me while I reached over and tucked in the back of the sling. Then I'd do the legs while continuing to support with my body.

Eventually she was too weak to follow that routine, so we changed to first placing a pillow over her lap, then I'd raise her up and she could support herself on the pillow while I tucked the sling in at the back. After I got the back of the sling positioned, I'd lower her back down and do the legs while she was lying down. I'd bend her legs at the knees and just push them well up toward her chin which enabled me to get the sling legs high up next to her crotch. If you don't, then the slings legs tend to slide toward their knees and they start to fall out of the sling.

You'll probably want to get him in the sling from the lying down position (when in bed) sooner than we did. I was a lot bigger than Annie and could support her and reach over her better than many women would be able to do with their husbands.

Putting them back in bed is really easy. You can position them over where they're going to lie down, and just slowly lower the lift. Getting the sling off is really easy.

Getting the sling on them while in a chair is pretty much the same process but easier because they are already sitting up and get some support from the chair. You do need to stand in front of the pals and let them lean on you while you reach behind to tuck the sling in. Then do the legs just like before. In either case, don't attempt to do the legs until the back is well tucked in and centered or it'll never come right.

There are 3 configurations in which the leg slings can be positioned. I would highly recommend that you always use the crossed sling arrangement. It's very stable but the pals legs can still be moved apart - very important for trips to the toilet.

It's all pretty straightforward, so no need to be afraid of it. No doublt you'll work out little techniques of your own. After a little practice you'll be an expert.

Is it comfortable for you Marta? And if I may ask how are your neck muscles and breathing? I watched the videos and it seemed like it would be generally uncomfortable and very bad if you were weak in neck or respiratory compromised?
Thanks for any insight

Best
Nikki

My neck and breathing are getting weaker but still hanging in there. Yes, it is comfortable.

Vicki--when they delivered my Hoyer I thought they were going to train me-- the guy was all freaked out and said he couldn't touch my husband and I should just read the manual. He was so ignorant that I sent him on his way! I think he lost his job because I did complain. the medical supplier offered to send someone out again, but I could not take off work again and my husband was nervous about it. I think youtube and practice on a non-handicapped person is the way to go. If you can afford a power lift, then you should get it--I am sure you will be glad you did.

B

penny1: Your post made me smile to think of whom I would ask to be my husband's surrogate for a possible dumping event. Maybe my worst enemy, right?:razz:

Phil: You are so very kind to have provided a blow-by-blow explanation of how to go about dealing with the sling. It was quite easy to visualize the process from your description. FYI: I did order an Invacare 450 Reliant Power Lift, low base with power opening base . This lift requires only 4.5 inch under bed clearance. My Phil wants to stay in his regular bed as long as possible. Also, this lift has an excellent low-high range and allows lifting from the floor. I also ordered a divided leg sling.

Well, I'm committed. Maybe our posts will help others. I hope so.

Vicki

Barbie--right on. I decided to move on it this morning and ordered a power lift with divided leg sling.

I created an earlier post that went to moderation probably because I mentioned the model name, etc. I'm sure the post will raise its head before too long.

Sometimes getting just one thing off your plate helps. For today, ordering the patient lift/sling was that one thing.

Vicki

Thanks Marta for you reply

My husband uses the divided leg sling and what we do is we get the straps under each leg and then cross one through the other before attaching it to the lift. This makes it impossible to slip out of the sling. They might slip down, but not out. Hope this helps!

I have a ceiling lift in the bedroom and a Hoyer in the living room. I am about 2300 lbs. and some of my care aides are not very big. They have no trouble at all. It is a matter of body dynamics, how to position your body to move the patient. An occupational therapist or nurse should be able to demonstrate or there are some good videos out there. Hang in there. You CALS are terrific. We couldn't do it without you!

I'm sure you meant 230 lbs rather than 2300! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back