Can one person control a patient lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used an electric ceiling lift over our bed and over the bath tub. We had a very tall portable lift in the living room for over Bob's recliner. All equipment along with 2 slings were provided by our ALS Society through a Medical supply store here. We had somebody from home care and the supply company show us how to use the lifts/slings. It was a bit daunting for the first couple of tries but then it became relatively simple and oh so helpful. My husband was around 200 lbs. We started using this when he was no longer able to transfer. If a 2300 pounder can use it, you should have no trouble :) Yasmin.

I am only 210. Stutter finger. lol A sling like CasaHopkins suggested is very safe. Another point to watch for is that the neck is supported if needed. Also easier to put one in the chair if the sling keeps your Pal in an upright position. Tilting the chair back a bit also makes it easier to get all the way to the back of it and eliminates the need to squirm into position.

Hello, All:

Just a follow up to let you know how things are going. I did order an electric lift with power base opening. So glad I did.

You'll be interested to learn (I think) that I saved about $2,000 by ordering the lift online. In order save that money, I did have to assemble the lift. I am pleased to report that the assembly went well. Parts of the lift were definitely heavy. I unpacked it in the garage (it arrived on a pallet) and rolled the base up the ramp and into the house. The worst part of the assembly was trying to line up the bolt holes of the mast and boom while supporting the boom on my left shoulder. Phil observed the process and gave me guy advice about tools and tried and true methods.

Hooray--all the parts worked properly.

Next I read the instructions and practiced lifting a huge body shaped bed wedge while Phil watched and conferred with me about the process. The following day we practiced lifting him a few inches and back down so that he could get the feel of it. On successive days we have practiced on and off the bed; off the bed and toward the chair; off the bed and into the chair. We have been using the divided leg sling and it seems to be effective. Phil wants to try the toileting sling, too. So I told him I'd get one for him as a birthday present.:lol: Tomorrow we will practice out of the power chair and onto the commode chair then back to the power chair.

So, yes! One person can control a patient lift. My current assessment is this: if you are a woman and have to maneuver a 200+pound man up and down and around a room--do consider an electric if you can afford it.

Ciao,
Vicki

Glad to hear your report. No doubt you'll get very proficient very quickly.

Vicki,

You impress me with your calm, dedicated caregiving. you are great!

Thanks, Barbie. And thanks, Phil, for your generosity of spirit.

Those of us who are caregivers have been given a calling that we never expected. We remain novices in the face of ALS because we never know what will hit us next. Once we become adept at one thing, we encounter a new logistical need or physical challenge. We have no choice but this: learn and do. Sink or swim.

When you notice the number of people who visited this thread, it becomes clear that people are hungry to learn about ways to deal with the day-to-day impact of the disease in their lives. When I received beneficial inputs to my question, I was encouraged to become a problem solver about patient transfers. I suspect many others were similarly encouraged.

Next time I reach a flummoxing crossroad, I'll be back with a new question. It is comforting to know there will be answers here.

Regards,
Vicki

I agree vicki,

We have to be problem solvers based on our pals needs. i know that I transfer my husband one way and others have worked things out for them--it is that way with so many things. it is good to share all the little "tricks of the trade" some one can always benefit.

:)

We find the Hoyer lift very difficult for one person to use - my husband is tall and he seems to keep getting either his feet or head caught up in it, but I found it a godsend when he has fallen and I alone have to get him up off the ground.I also find it difficult to get his rear end far enough back in his wheelchair when he is lowered into it.

I used what is basically a 'lazy susan' which my husband stood on and I spun him holding him up with a towel around his back and then the ends brought forward each of his armpits with me in front of him. From bed to wheelchair or commode, it worked beautifully until he could no longer lock his knees and stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back