Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
california
City
lompoc
Hello Everyone,

First of all I apologize to anyone if they have this, I mean no offense. Just wanted to list my symptoms and see if anyone thinks this is cause for concern. I am seeing my doctor on the 18th but I have been very nervous about my symptoms.

Background, I am a 23 year old male

Weakness and sensations: This one is weird, the last six months I have felt fatigued but I just figured its because I stopped working out around june of last year. It wasnt until the last month that I got to a point where I felt strangely fatigued and I saw blood in my stool so I went to urgent care. They checked my blood, found nothing, iron levels good and what not, did a ct and found nothing and referred me to a gi since I was constipated. Since then I felt better mentally but the weakness sensation was still there. I dont think ive lost strength per say, I can still lift pretty heavy, but something feels off as if I am getting weaker. The last 5 days it went from weak sensation to shaky hands and burning sensations whenever I use my arms,
especially in my forearms(using a pencil, typing, even just sitting there.) the trembling is getting in my head and whenever I flex my whole arms shake pretty violently (more so my right arm).

Coordination: no significant changes, no foot drop that I can remember but I feel strange. I play guitar and piano sometimes and maybe its in my head but my fingers feel slightly weaker. My fingers will shake a lot too on their own more than other people Ive compared to while resting

Twitches: my tongue is scalped and twitches all over but I dont think its fascicullationsm, doesnt look like worms just twitches . Ive had twitches throughout my arms and legs however and sometimes right after doing something.

Sometimes in the morning I feel better but in the afternoon I start feeling the burning in my arms. I am worried I am getting muscle atrophy considering how trembly my arms and hands and maybe legs seem to be getting. I worked out arms two days ago and I don't feel sore, just the burning and twitches. I am waiting to see my doc but until then does this sound like als? I know only a doc can tell but the anxiety is getting to me. I thought I would get better but I only seem to be getting worse as far as weird symptoms and its concerning me.

Thank you

Instead of opinion I'll give you some facts...

Weakness and sensations have ZERO to do with ALS onset.

Twitching is far too common to be diagnostic of anything.

This is all noted in the Pinned Post alluringly titled Read Before Posting.

Check it out before asking anything else.

I apologize, I truly do, didn't mean to offend I should have read the post.

The symptoms feed on themselves. Poor sleep/diet/hydration with a scoop of stress on top makes them worse, causing more stress. I would look to improve nutrition, hydration, rest and exercise while waiting for your appointment.

Best,
Laurie

The symptoms feed on themselves. Poor sleep/diet/hydration with a scoop of stress on top makes them worse, causing more stress. I would look to improve nutrition, hydration, rest and exercise while waiting for your appointment.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your input Laurie, I will do so in the meantime. This is probably my anxiety as well but to clarify are you personally not ruling out als in this situation? Or are you saying it's probably not that so stay healthy?

Yes, I am saying that I see no indications of ALS in your post.

Labs don't always find nutritional deficiencies, and they certainly can't see if you are burning the proverbial candle at both ends, as adults your age tend to do.

Seeing a doc is a good idea since you perceive a significant change in the last week, just saying there are approaches to self-care meanwhile that could improve how you feel.

Yes, I am saying that I see no indications of ALS in your post.

Labs don't always find nutritional deficiencies, and they certainly can't see if you are burning the proverbial candle at both ends, as adults your age tend to do.

Seeing a doc is a good idea since you perceive a significant change in the last week, just saying there are approaches to self-care meanwhile that could improve how you feel.

Thank you for the reassurance even if I do end up having something (anything) I appreciate it:) I will put this away until then and try to ease my mind and work on myself.

Tongue Fibrillations

Hello everyone,

I am completely being that guy, and I feel like a failure for coming back and bothering you guys with my health anxiety, but I found something that has scared me and I would appreciate any reassurance or tough facts on why I am being unrealistic. My last post involved what I believed to be weakness. Since then I am happy to report I have been going to the gym, not lost any functions or anything so the realistic part of me is like you are fine. I was actually worried about my hand for a while thinking it was atrophy but my doctor said its nothing. I havent been referred to a neuro and I am taking that as a good sign although my doctor still wants to see blood results and then may eventually refer me.

Heres the problem. I have had a lot of twitching which I do not focus on. What gets me is my tongue, I have the finest little watery looking twitch on the edge that appears most of the time even at rest. I looked at it under a light and even if I do nothing it seems to stick around there if i put my tongue on my bottom lip. I cannot feel this twitch. The reason I am worried is because everything I have read states tongue fibrillations, not fascicullations, are almost always indicative of denervation. I am not a neuroligist and I know I am not qualified to say what this is but knowing it will be months until a neuro appointment kills me. Is this anything to be concerned of? I have no slurred speech although I do mumble and stutter but Im pretty sure Ive always had that, and I swallow fine although the last week Ive felt my throath kinda crowded but I think its my tonsils because they look swollen so Im trying not to focus on that. Also my tongue on the part where it twitches is not as round as the opposite left side, so my tongue looks kinda not round.

I made a promise to my mom I would stop worrying and looking at my tongue and yet here I am.

So what do you all think? It would be rare for a 23 year old male to have symptoms that were never really symptoms go away and then develop bulbar onset correct? Do fine tongue twitches at rest truly always mean something? I am not asking for a diagnoses but I just want to know if this little fine twitch on my tongue is something that indicates something worse.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for coming here again after being told I am ok.

Mod note: Merging threads. Please keep posting on your original thread- it makes it way easier for the members here to provide appropriate responses if they can see your whole story. Thanks kindly!

Fibrillations are an EMG finding. You can neither see nor feel them so anything you read if it was from a reputable source referred to that. You have twitches , possibly fasciculations which mean nothing. Don’t worry

Fibrillations are an EMG finding. You can neither see nor feel them so anything you read if it was from a reputable source referred to that. You have twitches , possibly fasciculations which mean nothing. Don’t worry

Thank you Nikki you are very kind

Mod note: Merging threads. Please keep posting on your original thread- it makes it way easier for the members here to provide appropriate responses if they can see your whole story. Thanks kindly!

Thank you!

Just to be sure, Peace:

You aren't showing any signs of ALS. There isn't any reason to believe you might develop ALS in the future.

Everything you described sounds like a combination of stress, nutrition, electrolytes, hydration, and sleep. Very common stuff for your age.

Stick with your doctor. Don't think about fancy diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back