Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Baltimore
gag reflex problems or difficulty swallowing or constant coughing?

I read that other young man's problem of the tickle in his throat leading him to gag and then throw up - this exact thing happens to me!
i've had problem swallowing with lots of phlegm/stuff in throat for wow almost a year now...
i've noticed that when I laugh, the tickle is there too... every time i laugh, that tickle comes up, and I start to cough, sometimes even gag (rarely...)
but lately (past say month) - i've been gagging and throwing up nearly ever day...

i noticed twitching in my legs waaaaaaaay back, but never cared until this gag problem

I'm not saying it's ALS. Yet I do get twitches (which come for days at a time and then some days barely at all!), and my one ankle looks way boney compared to the other...and it's weaker to stand on...

last time I had anything chekced was hmmmm like 3 months ago and my reflexes and strength were okay but mind you the doc rushed me didn't seem sympathetic at all - just because I'm 24 doesn't mean it can't effect me too

any opinions?
will I eventually gag so much I lose my reflex and maybe even voice?
I'm very scared right now.

thanks so much, People.

Hi Simon. ALS twitches don't come and go so on that note I'd say BFS. Gagging and throwing up aren't in the symptom list either. I'd find a Doc willing to look at you and do some tests. I not being a doctor can't say what's going on but it doesn't sound like ALS to me.

AL.

Thanks, Al.

And when I speak of the twitches, I mean how somedays are way more subdued - I get them everyday, but some days are hardly noticeable at all, while some days are just relentless. So basically what I'm trying to say is they fluctuate!
Still point away from ALS?

Again, thanks!

is your doctor internal medicine? did you explain your symptoms thoroughly? if you did, then find another doctor if the one you saw 3 months ago blew you off. there are numerous reasons for fasciculations or hyper-reflexia. viral infections, exposure to organophosphates (pesticides, laundry detergent, fertilizer), or allergic reactions can affect the nervous system.

And Al,

When You say that "gagging and throwing up aren't in the symptom list either" - what about that tickle feel in your throat, leading to much dry coughing, leading to gagging, then throwing up - it's a hyper-gag-reflex problem. Isn't this indicative of UMN?

I mean, to have twitching AND this? It's so scary.

even when I say hold my head at the chin with my hands, my arms feel SO weak. I have to stop after 10 seconds. Never before was this problem. Never had I had these awful tickles and coughs and gags...

?

thanks!

from reading the most recent thread made, I'd also like to add that I had an Upper G.I. about 8 months ago, and it was revealed that I had some pretty big acid reflux ~ could this cause the gagging/puking problem?

thanks!

can BFS even include muscle weakness and atrophy?

I would go back to your neuro if this a new sx since you saw him 3 months ago. Tell him that this is happening and see where it goes.
Good luck to you

april

BFS can include cramping and soreness that discourage activity, and many equate with weakness, though to my limited knowledge not cause atrophy.

If you have significant acid reflux it it can cause a dry cough, swallowing difficulty , and odd sensations at the back of the throat. Also the pain associated with reflux and heartburn can cause pain in the jaw area as well (the reason so many middle aged men go to the ER thinking the heart attack has finally come only to be handed antacid and put on Prilosec).

Still I think these are all concerns you should share with your doctor, who at the end of the day is the only one who can help you.

Take care,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back