Not open for further replies.

MaggyQ

Country
US
State
california
City
los angeles
I have not been diagnosed with ALS; however, my doctors are monitoring me.

Recently, one of my "other" doctors has suggested a hysterectomy for reasons quite unrelated to my neurological symptoms. It is elective in the larger scheme of things.

I am however, concerned that a general anethestic might have a deleterious effect
on my neurological symptoms and am therefore reluctant to have the surgery.

Has anyone heard or been told this? If so, can you point me towards some research?

Thanks in advance.

M

My dad has been under anesthesia twice since being on a ventilator and has had no set backs from it. I don't know what the doctors say about it, but our experiences were ok.
Dana

thanks, dana. I've been nosing around the net and have found a few references.
It seems that the surgeons must take the motor neuron disease into account in
dealing with the anesthesia. For example, if a person already has respiratory/bulbar symptoms.

There is evidently a muscle relaxant component to anesthia which may have an adverse effect.

I need to gather some more data before choosing what is essentially an elective procedure.

I'm very glad to hear of your positive experience. That's encouraging.

I have always wondered about anesthesia because I had a hysterectomy in May of 2002 and a biopsy of vocal cords in November 2002, and I started with slurring of speech two months after the Nov. surgery. When I was at Cleveland Clinic about six months after that for my throat problem and the doctor noticed my tongue, I heard him ask the assistant who had taken my history if I was put under for both those surgeries. And that visit was the beginning of what I am experiencing now. Cleveland Clinic sent me to a neurologist and all the testing began.

Well

This i never ruled out but to big of an elephant to work against.

What did he notice about your tongue?

Ellen said:
I have always wondered about anesthesia because I had a hysterectomy in May of 2002 and a biopsy of vocal cords in November 2002, and I started with slurring of speech two months after the Nov. surgery. When I was at Cleveland Clinic about six months after that for my throat problem and the doctor noticed my tongue, I heard him ask the assistant who had taken my history if I was put under for both those surgeries. And that visit was the beginning of what I am experiencing now. Cleveland Clinic sent me to a neurologist and all the testing began.

What did he notice about your tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back