AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Can anesthesia exacerbate ALS symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggyQ

Country
US
State
california
I have not been diagnosed with ALS; however, my doctors are monitoring me.

Recently, one of my "other" doctors has suggested a hysterectomy for reasons quite unrelated to my neurological symptoms. It is elective in the larger scheme of things.

I am however, concerned that a general anethestic might have a deleterious effect
on my neurological symptoms and am therefore reluctant to have the surgery.

Has anyone heard or been told this? If so, can you point me towards some research?

Thanks in advance.

M

dana

Distinguished member
My dad has been under anesthesia twice since being on a ventilator and has had no set backs from it. I don't know what the doctors say about it, but our experiences were ok.
Dana

MaggyQ

Country
US
State
california
thanks, dana. I've been nosing around the net and have found a few references.
It seems that the surgeons must take the motor neuron disease into account in
dealing with the anesthesia. For example, if a person already has respiratory/bulbar symptoms.

There is evidently a muscle relaxant component to anesthia which may have an adverse effect.

I need to gather some more data before choosing what is essentially an elective procedure.

I'm very glad to hear of your positive experience. That's encouraging.

Ellen

Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
I have always wondered about anesthesia because I had a hysterectomy in May of 2002 and a biopsy of vocal cords in November 2002, and I started with slurring of speech two months after the Nov. surgery. When I was at Cleveland Clinic about six months after that for my throat problem and the doctor noticed my tongue, I heard him ask the assistant who had taken my history if I was put under for both those surgeries. And that visit was the beginning of what I am experiencing now. Cleveland Clinic sent me to a neurologist and all the testing began.

MaggyQ

Country
US
State
california

TRACY22

Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
WA
Well

This i never ruled out but to big of an elephant to work against.

BethBlack69

Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Tx
What did he notice about your tongue?

Ellen said:
I have always wondered about anesthesia because I had a hysterectomy in May of 2002 and a biopsy of vocal cords in November 2002, and I started with slurring of speech two months after the Nov. surgery. When I was at Cleveland Clinic about six months after that for my throat problem and the doctor noticed my tongue, I heard him ask the assistant who had taken my history if I was put under for both those surgeries. And that visit was the beginning of what I am experiencing now. Cleveland Clinic sent me to a neurologist and all the testing began.

What did he notice about your tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock