CALS Roll Call Continued

V any pressure area needs to changing position every 2 hours
at the time it is good to rub cream into the surrounding area, and have as many positions as you can manage that put no pressure on that area at all. Not easy for a PALS I know, but being aware of that helps you think positions through. Pillows to help maintain positions from rolling back onto the area can really help, but be careful not to allow a pillow to create pressure.

I'm so very glad your family visit was beautiful.

Huge kudos to that contractor friend!

Thx Tillie, I've been doing the 2 hr position change. Up every 2 hrs in the night to move him. Neither of us is getting much sleep these days. I bought a wedge pillow for him too. He has been somewhat resistant but I told him we have to do this.

it's really difficult V - this is why nurses work shifts and have days off. CALS seem to just feel lucky if someone steps in for an hour or two so they can race off and get some other things done. the wedge pillows can really help
broken sleep is so hard to deal with, I hear you loud and clear on that one

My PALS doesn't change positions in the bed any more either. So far, I have not been getting up and have been depending on the rotating air mattress to protect his skin. He resists going into any other position. The new care assistant does know how to use the Hoyer Lyft, so I am able to go out with much less stress now. I am looking forward to his coming tomorrow, so i can go out! Go Braves!

Not much going on for us, which I suppose is nice. We enjoyed watching the World Series and were happy the Braves won. And we've been watching a lot of football, which makes my husband happy. He was so excited on Saturday to watch all the college games and was in the best mood he's been in for ages. I hate that we turn the clocks back on Sunday. Having it get dark at 5pm is such a bummer.

Another birthday this week. I wasn't expecting much but had the most wonderful week despite reduced sleep. On Tuesday my cycling group bought me a chocolate croissant which I insisted be shared. Got home to find my PALS had sent our caregiver to get flowers and cake. Then a girlfriend came over with flowers, prosecco, and more cake! I made myself do a longer ride on Wednesday given the calories consumed.

On Thursday at my painting class I arrived to find a surprise celebration with even more cake...

I felt so loved this week. It was really special.

V

Yo V!

Can I send you some cake?

Jim

Oh I'm beaming V! I believe cake should never be underestimated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! 🍰🧁🎂🥮🥞

Happy Birthday V!!!

So glad you have had a nice series of celebrations, V -- no more than you deserve!
--Laurie

Happy Birthday V! 🎂🎉 Enjoy the cake - birthday calories don't count! 🤣🤣🤣

Happy Birthday! Glad your birthday week was special!

Doing okay as we approach Thanksgiving. My son and his girlfriend will come on Friday, so Thursday will be a day to watch the parades and clean. PALS is asking to be fed more and seems more frail to me. He is napping more during the day. However he is still interested in his computer and watching television shows. I try not to discuss the wedding with him because he reacts in a negative way about attending. Of course, I try not to discuss the wedding with my son, because he doesn't want me meddling. So I clean and listen to audiobooks and take naps!

Mary, I hope you and your PALS have a great visit with your son and his girlfriend.

I have mixed feelings about Thanksgiving this year. We are having dinner with my parents, so I'm really looking forward to that. Well, I will have dinner with them and my husband will say hello and stay for a little while and then go home to watch football and hang out with the dog. He doesn't complain, but I'm sure a holiday centered on delicious food sucks for him since he can't eat anything anymore. Of course, he is welcome to stay and watch football at my parents' place, but he is more comfortable at home, so it is OK with everybody that he would rather be there. And he is happy for me to get to spend time with my parents. Last Thanksgiving my parents both had covid, so this year should be much more fun and a lot less stressful!

I finally got to see my PCP and started on an antidepressant. I think my husband is depressed too (not surprisingly!), but he is hesitant to try an antidepressant. I'm hoping that now that I'm on one (and hopefully it will help me), maybe he will be more open to trying one too. I already feel better, but I think that is probably just because I'm actually doing something to feel better.

Other than that, things are OK. It is cold and wet and gets dark at 5pm, but we have been enjoying watching lots of football. And we have been listening to music together before bed which is really nice.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Mary I hope the visit is just lovely despite the things that are uncomfortable.
RMT I hope you also have a beautiful time with your parents and can enjoy the food.
It is so hard when there are swallowing issues. As a CALS, I would feel so guilty about enjoying food, as cooking and sharing food had been my Chris's whole life.

Reactions: rmt
Back