CALS Roll Call Continued

Chime on in and let us know in a sentence or short paragraph how you are doing CALS if you haven't posted on other threads.

I think of you all constantly, don't hold back if you need to vent or have a question. Doesn't matter if it has been asked before, just pipe up for support xxx

I thought of starting a thread, but honestly, I don't have the time or energy. Dad was taken by ambulance to the ER last Tuesday evening. I had him in his chair and planned to take him in the van, but he didn't feel like he could breathe well enough sitting up. Thankfully the ambulance was willing to take him to the UofM, which is about 45 minutes away. We got home from the hospital on Saturday.

He wasn't tolerating tube feeding very well. We'd tried three formulas. He always felt full. His stomach was full of gas. When his stomach feels full and uncomfortable, it makes it hard for him to breathe. (We are removing gas through the tube.) He had periods when he would get flushed and warm and have chills.

So they changed him to a fourth, no fiber formula. We did have a pump at home. At the hospital they have both the food and the water going into the pump and the pump automatically does the free water flushes. We asked for and came home with that set up. He seems to tolerate it better, though we did have to stop his feeding this evening again because he didn't feel well. We also got a med that we can give him whenever he feels nauseous.

He'd had a swallow study the week before he was in the hospital where they determined it wasn't safe for him to swallow anything. I think that has caused problems with secretions to increase. (Previously, he was washing them down. Now they have nowhere to go.). So we got a patch to help with secretions. We had a cough assist before we went to the hospital, but we also came home with suction. (By the way, there's an air hole on the suction wand that you need to put your thumb over to make it work. Maybe you won't have to bother the equipment people on Sunday like we did.:oops:)

In addition, they determined that the breathing issues were due to progression of ALS, which was not surprising, and we were glad that he didn't have pneumonia from aspiration. His O2 stats are pretty good without a bipap during the day, but he sets off warnings when he sleeps without a bipap. He's trying to wear it all night now.

Overall the care that Dad received was excellent. Seriously, I don't think I've ever had staff seek as much input from the family and listen as much as they did during this hospital stay. Some of the nursing staff are just rock stars.

We had brought up some of these medication issues with both neurologists and his primary physician and got no action. Finally neurology recommended we talk to the "palliative care team." They got the prescriptions going for nausea, the patch for secretions, air hunger. However, I do find it frustrating that there's now a third set of doctors we need to be following up with. Palliative asks that we do an office visit for him to be set up with them after leaving the hospital. It's not like he has any energy to spare.

So, I thought today we'd be back in the swing of things, I could catch up on work from last week. A regular caregiver was scheduled to give Dad his bath Monday morning. When I got in touch this afternoon, I find out the agency had to reassess after a hospital visit, so she wasn't able to come this morning. So I'm still very behind on work, but Dad did get a bath this evening. I could use about a week of sleep.

TPM, I'm glad your dad got good care at UM though sorry to hear that he's progressing.

As for the Palliative Service appointment, you can push back and ask for a televisit...citing, you know, that patients on that service don't have energy to spare, as per your comment. Worst they can say is no. If they saw him at UM, virtual check-ins should suffice for his rx.

He's lucky to have you.

Best,
Laurie

This, I am so sorry for your struggles with dad. Not sure what formulas you’ve tried or are using now. My suggestion is to try a formula that is 2 calories per CC. I had Brian on a product called TwoCal. I have several cases here. We went with that because you need a lot less food to make up the calories. Brian could not tolerate a very full stomach either. With TwoCal we could run it at 30 cc/hr around the clock, so basically 2 tablespoon per hour. Then we would flush once per hour with the water (same set up you have) at 60 cc. That insured he got enough water as the food with it’s concentration had very little. Something to think about. Best to you.

Well...after a year of leaning on this forum for insight and support, I decided I better answer "roll call". First, thank you to everyone who shares so unselfishly on the threads. Your advice and shared experiences are invaluable to those of us who are looking for direction on dealing with this beast. Secondly, here is the short version of our story: My husband was diagnosed in January 2018 with confirmation from the local ALS Clinic in April 2018. His symptoms begin in August 2017 with his limbs, especially his hands but his breathing was soon to follow. He was immediately placed on a Trilogy and his last FVC in October was 38%. He uses the Trilogy at night and for several hours during the day. He uses a scooter around the house, although he is able to use a walker for short trips. He continues to eat whatever he wants but gets very tired doing so. He is 59 years old and has been very healthy up to his diagnosis. Our goal is to live day by day, enjoying our family and friends. So...I am answering roll call as a CALS, "here".

Hi Sue! TwoCal is one of the formulas we've tried. We still can't get as much into him as they want. We did go to 24 hours when we got back from the hospital this time with the new set up. Right now he's at 40. I bet if we brought him down to 30 it would be more tolerable for him. I will keep that in my back pocket if we decide we need another change. Thank you!

And you flushed with 60 every hour! They have him set up for 60 every 4 hours right now. That's what he had in the hospital.

So sad you have to go through this, hugs.

@ ThisPresentMoment so frustrating and difficult. Sue gives some good clues that might get you on a balance. Please keep us updated on how this goes.

@ katygal so glad you put your hand up! I'm so sorry you are here with us, but I'm glad you find a lot of help here.

@ debwilson77 hi Deb :)

Welcome katygal! Thank you for the introduction. Enjoying day by day is the same idea behind my name here. Going through this with Mom & Dad has been a reminder to me that we only have this moment right now that we live in. I can't live in the past or the future, only right now, so I better make the best of it!

Hi debwilson77!

Welcome, Katy. Let us know if/how we can help, and chime in any time!

Best,
Laurie

TPM, have you tried Kate Farms or Liquid Hope formulas? Some find them more tolerable than corn syrup based formulas like TwoCal, and they are more like the real food our bodies are geared to accept.

Hi folks - popping in to say hello. I think my grief (although emotionally I'm doing okay) has affected my immune system...I've had a bad cold for 3 weeks now and there seems to be no sign of letting up. I don't know if it is one long cold or 3+ viruses back-to-back, but either way I'm super annoyed and drained. I haven't had a virus in 3yrs and it is like I'm catching them all up right now. Uggghhh

Anyone else experience this?

I did ask about Kate Farms. They said it's a high fiber formula and we were having so much of an issue with gas. They recommended going low fiber instead. The low fiber has made the gas better, but I got here this morning and they had the pump stopped again because he was uncomfortable. (When he had his tube placed, they mentioned that his stomach was really high. I read somewhere online that this can be due to the weakness in the diaphragm muscles of ALS patients.).

Ninja, I hope you feel better soon. I do think there's something to changes in the immune system based on circumstance.

Higher fiber does not necessarily correlate with gas. It is also related to the chemical makeup of the formula -- how close to nature the fiber and the rest of the ingredients are. For example, if you went wild with carrot cake, I suspect you wouldn't feel that great as compared with salad.

For me, it's inescapable that our bodies are not built for corn syrup. We certainly don't make it the foundation of our non-tube diets -- for good reason.

So, don't be afraid to try everything out there to find what works best for him.

Deb, we've missed you -- how are things?

Back