CALS Roll Call Continued

Tillie,
They were very responsive. They gave us another caregiver that already comes on Friday-Sunday and added him to Monday and Tuesday. We will have someone new for Wed and Thur. I hope everything works out okay for the caregiver. Maybe a day shift would be better for her. I feel badly, but my first priority is my PALS and I don't need more stress!
Mary

Don't feel badly, Mary, you gave her a chance and she did herself in. Sorry it didn't work out. I told our nurses that I'd like this for everybody to be an agreeable arrangement but if in doubt I'm TEAM PALS.
The energy involved in dealing with this emotionally on top of everything else is excruciating. Hope you two get some sleep tonight.

I'm so glad they responded well to your needs. Now fingers crossed you get meds sorted and some sleep tonight is on order!

Mary, I think you did the right thing with regards to the caregiver. You gave her a chance, you treated her with compassion, you gave her a chance to be honest. But the bottom line is your husband comes first. It's very simple. Even when you took steps to replace her, you did the right thing, and did it with kindness. Hopefully she'll learn that honesty would have been the best policy. She was probably ashamed and afraid of losing her job for having fallen asleep and like a child, thought she could fib her way out of it. But the bottom line is: if she can't handle the job, she needs to find something else to do. Everything happens for a reason. I'm glad no harm came to your husband, and I wish the best with your new carers.

Kathy

Katalin, Thanks for the encouragement. I talked to our daytime caregiver (who we absolutely love!!!) about this and she said she thought the reaction was cultural. The two ladies are from the same country. They have never met. Our daytime caregiver has been in the US almost 30 years, the nighttime one only a few years. She said she thought the reaction was one of shame and it would be typical for their country. Daytimer thought my action was the correct one and there was nothing more I could do. I was glad to get that affirmation from someone who understood the situation.
Mary

sorry for a incredibly dumb question....I am new to ALSForums. Can someone explain Roll Call?

This is just a check-in thread where you can update other caregivers on what's going on with you and your PALS. Welcome and I hope to see your addition soon!

You can also start a new thread under the "Current Caregivers" subforum if a topic merits more than a check-in or quick question.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Turtals. Welcome. There are no dumb questions here. You will find everyone who contributes here very helpful. The collective knowledge base of those contributing here is truling amazing.

Mary, you did what you had to do ...... and you gave the caregivier the opportunity to talk things out with you and try to develop a resolution. The cultural explanation is an interesting one. Also, some overnight caregiver situations actually allow for the caregiver to nap. That may sound odd, but it is true. I know three people personally who occasionally do "overnighters", and depending upon the situation, they are permitted to nap. That is something that must be talked about and predetermined by agreement between the agency and the client. Your husband's situation sounds like it would preclude this, as he has FTD. At any rate, your husband's safety is paramount, and you need a caregiver who will stay awake so that YOU can rest peacefully! Blessings.

Catching

Sibyl has a stomach virus. Her best friend and out neighbor past it on while visiting last week. At least that is our theory.

It's frustrating that even though we caution folks some do not understand the need to be careful.

This virus causes an almost steady bowel leakage along with a raw bottom and frequent diaper changes.

The nurse suggested a 12 hour period with no feeding.

The ointment we use on her bottom on every diaper change plus a good but gentle cleaning with wipes has been effective but wondering what, if any, experience someone could give that would help.

Ernie

Last edited:
Buckhorn - I wouldn't have been upset about the sleeping so much if she still responded to my PALS. I discovered it both times because I was awakened by him calling repeatedly and went to check on what was happening. That's when I discovered her sleeping, one time snoring! So I don't think that option works for her:)
Mary

Oh Ernie, that sounds terrible. Sorry I have no advice to offer - just hope Sibyl gets over it quickly. Hugs.

Ernie,

I would consider some homemade broth (e.g. boiling chicken, adding a little sea salt and skimming the fat) to get some healthy sodium/protein in her without all the sugar, etc. that the formulas have, that make diarrhea worse. Whole Foods and other stores also sell a low-sodium powdered vegan broth mix that you add water to.

Fasting might make sense for you if you were in the same boat, but I'm not sure as much for her.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie;

Very good advice. Fortunately, the virus seems to have run its course. No leakage this am's diaper change. Actually had a somewhat firm stool.

Although Sibyl does not take anything by mouth I have been giving her shaved ice frequently. Some or most of the melted water gets swallowed without incident. We also use orange pop sickles and shaven coke that has been frozen. Will try a homemade broth thru the tube.

Gave her Trazodone at bedtime last night for the first time in several days. No effect. A restless night. I have the hospice comfort meds including Lorazepam.

Are there risks in giving the Lorazepam when Trazodone was given earlier in the evening (3 to 4 hours previous)?

Ernie,
I would check with hospice, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could both be given. My Dave is taking both ambien and lorazepam. Hospice recommended 5 mg ambien an hour before bedtime and 1 mg lorazepam right before bed. It works about 75-80% of the time. We have had three nights in a row of peaceful sleep. We had about a week of trial and error to get the right dosage and combo. If the trazodone isn't working maybe Sibyl could take ambien.

Glad to hear the virus seems to have passed!

Mary

Back