Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Palo Alto
my son is losing his voice. we've been using a baby monitor, but he's too weak to be heard anymore. i saw something here called a 'pad ...' that looked just right, but i don't know what to hook it into. can someone help me?

ALSO, i keep seeing ads and not being able to read the complete posts. how do i avoid that? (somewhat off subject, but i bet someone can help me.)

thank you so much...

Download an ad blocking plugin for your browser (Google your browser's name and ad blocker).

I am not sure what you mean by "pad" but hopefully someone who knows will respond. If he has hand function, he can push a door bell with his fingers or use an ability switch to do so, which you would hear on the monitor. If he has any muscle he can reliably twitch, that can be used for a switch also.

Possibly a Tobii dynavox, that is a type and speak with an iPad. Hope that helps.
Al

Do you mean a pressure pad that activates an alarm? I think the system comes all together. My sister had one. It was pretty loud but if you were out of range it could be used in conjunction with the baby monitor

Google ability switches. My husband had one that was great. It was a feather touch switch connected to a doorbell and he was able to use it even though he had only the slightest movement left in his thumb. It's in the forty dollar range. My one suggestion is to get a back up. We learned that the hard way.
Tracy

ALS From Both Sides: Call Systems
This page lists 5 call systems that do not require arm or hand strength or the ability to speak. Most require the addition of a capability switch which is an easy process. Two have a longer range to allow caregivers to go outside.

thank you. the only pad i could find was from a company that said it hooked up to NURSES' station only.

hi...i found everything but i think overdid it with the capability switch. it's a nurse's call switch...for a hospital. we hooked everything up and it doesn't work. i thnk because the call switch is just very powerful...and we had to use an adapter to connect it to the interrupter. have just ordered a simpler one...for toys...which tim will be able to use. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back