Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Recently noticed my right calf was stiff and sore while walking and would twitch every so often. I can do a calf raise on the left leg but not right. I can also point and curl my toes with the right foot. My calf was also a bit tender to the touch. Would there be soreness or tenderness in the calf If this was ALS. Thank you for the help.

Hi Mike- please have a read here ( Read Before Posting ) to reassure yourself. If you're truly worried, you can visit with your doctor for an assessment, but as you will have read in the link, pain wouldn't make a medical professional even consider ALS.

no soreness or tenderness
what did your doctor say?

A wait and see. It's been just about two weeks. Might be a combination of impatientice and anxiety playing a role but not being able to do a calf raise had me worried especially when there was no noticeable incident that caused me to not be able to do it.

May I ask?
When you say you can't do one - do you mean it is difficult, you can partly do one, or just can just raise for a few moments then it hurts and you have to stop? Does it hurt while you attempt to do a calf raise?
Did your doctor have you do this, or have you been testing yourself?

So when I do a calf raise on my left leg I can get my heel maybe four inches up and on my right maybe 1.5 inches. There is no pain it just stops no matter how hard I try. If I start on both tippy toes then remove my left left, my right drops. Again no pain just can do it. My right calf will twitch from time to time. I had a follow up with my Dr today (Only saw NP last time) and he thinks it might be related to a herniated disc I have. I did have back pain before I noticed this issue, and ivebhad back pain in the past, but it never left me with weak legs. My Dr. Is referring me out to a Neuro surgeon because he believes it could be a compressed nerve causing the issue so we will see... I've read horror stories of first diagnosis of back issue and it turns out to be ALS. Hoping for the best.

So you can do a calf raise. Regardless of being one inch or 4 inches, when one cannot do a calf raise, the foot does not go up at all. Not even a little bit. Stretch and stay hydrated but your symptoms do not say ALS onset to me.

Good luck to you and take good care.

I'm so glad you saw your doctor and discussed this and you now have a diagnostic path to follow with a neurosurgeon that sounds like it makes total sense to your situation. If you don't trust your doctors you are going to make this process incredibly difficult for them and outrageously stressful for you.
STOP googling horror stories. How many people actually have correct diagnosis of back issues and successful treatment?

At any rate, I'm so glad they are getting to the bottom of your issues, you truly don't need to be here and are best advised to stay away from here from now forwards. All the very best with getting this sorted.

Thank you for your response. Knowing that info is a relief. I'll post an update after visiting the Neuro so that anyone reading this and having similar issues will have that information. Thanks again! Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back