Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
PT works with me, but still too tight. Suggestions ?

what part of the calf, and what is the PT doing with you and how often? Does the PT just stretch or include massage?

Tight calf due to foot drop? Braces will help if that’s the reason.

a brace may well be needed as it may be muscle wastage causing contractures

Medical marijuana. I started using this for cramping/spasticity 3 years ago and have not taken baclofen or flexeril since.
Vincent

Last year I had an extremely tight right leg that caused a contracture. My knee would not straighten out. Neuro at Mayo thought it was a knee problem and mechanical. Went to the best ortho group in Florida and they did MRI/Xray and even gave me a cortisone shot to see if it would improve. They said my joints were perfect and referred me to PT. The regular PT couldn't help much but the PTA, who was also a licensed massage therapist, did massage on all the muscles around my knee as well as my calf and thigh. After my appointments were over my "contracture" improved about 60 percent but I still had pain. I started self massaging, after a hot shower, and using THC cream as the lubricant. I followed it up with magnesium oil and coconut oil.

Today I still have pain but my leg now can straighten to about 90 percent. I make sure I do ROM with it and massage it every day. Also going in the pool and walking from side to side helps.

I don't have foot drop but I do have cramps in both calves. Just make sure not to overstretch because I did and it was hard to walk the next day. If there is someone who can massage your calves, warm them up with a heating pad and have them use cream or oil to do ROM with your ankles and work up your legs. Be very careful with the joints as they can easily be injured as muscles atrophy. That happened to my left shoulder.

As Vincent stated, medical cannabis can make life with ALS much easier. It is also good for sleep. My cramps are much better since I added THC to CBD but the CBD alone helped a bunch.

Medical marijuana. I started using this for cramping/spasticity 3 years ago and have not taken baclofen or flexeril since.
Vincent
Hi Vincent, what concentration of CBD and THC are you using?

Last year I had an extremely tight right leg that caused a contracture. My knee would not straighten out. Neuro at Mayo thought it was a knee problem and mechanical. Went to the best ortho group in Florida and they did MRI/Xray and even gave me a cortisone shot to see if it would improve. They said my joints were perfect and referred me to PT. The regular PT couldn't help much but the PTA, who was also a licensed massage therapist, did massage on all the muscles around my knee as well as my calf and thigh. After my appointments were over my "contracture" improved about 60 percent but I still had pain. I started self massaging, after a hot shower, and using THC cream as the lubricant. I followed it up with magnesium oil and coconut oil.

Today I still have pain but my leg now can straighten to about 90 percent. I make sure I do ROM with it and massage it every day. Also going in the pool and walking from side to side helps.

I don't have foot drop but I do have cramps in both calves. Just make sure not to overstretch because I did and it was hard to walk the next day. If there is someone who can massage your calves, warm them up with a heating pad and have them use cream or oil to do ROM with your ankles and work up your legs. Be very careful with the joints as they can easily be injured as muscles atrophy. That happened to my left shoulder.

As Vincent stated, medical cannabis can make life with ALS much easier. It is also good for sleep. My cramps are much better since I added THC to CBD but the CBD alone helped a bunch.
Hi Kim, what concentration of CBD and THC are you using?

I use Charlotte's Web CBD and have been since right after my diagnosis. I started THC a couple of years ago. I use about 100mg of CBD a day and 10mg of THC. I've tried to work my way up on the THC but can't seem to tolerate it in the day. I do the 10mg at bedtime. My doctor thinks I should be taking 10mg at least four times a day.

Can you please help in suggesting which brand of CBD oil is good. My father was also given belcofen but he is having trouble taking it as its making him lot drowsy and that drowsiness making him feel more weak.

After reading lot of good reviews abt CBD oil i would like to try CBD oil for my father, any recommendation where to buy and which brand ? Do i need prescription?

There are alot of different CBD oils advertised out there and alot of them are garbage. Like Kim, I use. Charlotte's Web and find it helps.

Charlotte's Web is the best and most tested. It was featured on 60-minutes and other shows. It became famous when a little child, Charlotte, was having hundreds of seizures every day and none of the conventional seizure meds helped. They expected her to die. Stanley Brothers, out of Colorado, formulated this CBD oil and it helps Charlotte live a normal life.

I have tried several highly recommended CBD oils and, so far, have found nothing comparable to Charlotte's Web. You can buy it online and in some retail stores across the US. Get the highest potency and don't be afraid. It comes in two flavors. The Chocolate/coconut oil base is the best. You cannot taste the active ingredient (CBD.) The olive oil base doesn't taste very good.

Just Google Stanley Brothers Charlotte's Web and you'll find their site. It's worth the money.

You just put it under your tongue and let it absorb. It can also go into a feeding tube.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but for the first time in nearly 30 years I was able to get off Xanax because of Charlotte's web.

I also gifted a small bottle to a 95-year old man with whom I play cards. He has severe arthritis and peripheral neuropathy. He said it helped him sleep and thought it helped his hands. I gave some to my friend who is a yoga instructor (75) and she said it helped her shoulder and hands. Now she buys it.

I can vouch for Charlotte’s Web too. It has a calming effect. The chocolate mint flavor is palatable but not yummy. I don’t think it tastes like chocolate or mint. It is brown, so I call it my “beetle juice”. It does absorb rapidly from the mouth without having to swallow it.

I’ve heard good things about Haleigh’s Hope too, but I have not tried it.

Thanks everyone for suggestion. I will check charlottes site and make a purchase. Problem is bringing into Singapore as govt of singapore does not believe in CBD oil and they have very strict on such kind of things.

Lets see what I can do.

Thanks again.

I'll travel to Singapore in October. First thought was: Wanted to offer to bring you some but bad idea - I would get myself into quite some trouble. Wish I could take it along like a bar of chocolate. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back