Not open for further replies.

jason_hawthorne

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Thank you for the opportunity to post on your forum. I am a 44 year old male and have had an increasingly challenging time with symptoms. My primary care physician has referred me to a neurologist, however I am not able to get an appointment for 4 months.

In summary, my left-calf area has felt odd and weakening sensations for the last couple of months. Prior to that, the area felt heavy/sore and as I recall now, months earlier I had a couple of cramps (in the calf) while running. As of recently, my calf feels void of feeling at times, while my ankle/foot also feels as though it is weaker, and is accompanied with minor joint pain and/or achilles stiffness every once in a while. I have not lost any ability to function, my left side calf/ankle are simply weak at this time and feels a bit numb.

A little over 3 weeks ago, I began to have muscle twitches in my left calf-area. Shortly thereafter (a couple of days later), muscle twitches began in my right calf. Now for the past week or two, I am experiencing near constant twitching in my left calf as well as periodic twitching throughout my body (right calf, thighs, back, tricepts, forearms, etc.). This is constant now, even as I try to sleep at night.

Admittedly, my anxiety is high and while I try to ignore these sensations, I know that can also contribute to the situation. Given I am not able to start the conversation with a neurologist for months, do you have any advice?

Jason, apparently your PCP didn’t see any urgency for an EMG. Don’t
forget your PCP is also highly educated and trained to recognize things
that maybe urgent. Also the CYA thing... their CYA.

My opinion, the reason you may have to wait 4 months is that Dr. Google
has given Neuro Centers a windfall of requested appointments and referrals.
These Neurological Center CEO’s must be smiling.

Just 15 or 20 years ago Neurology was just another department within
a health care facility. Today, I believe, because of Dr. Google it’s now
one of their busiest departments. A profit maker. Neurology isn’t cheap,
it’s a specialty. The tests aren’t inexpensive either. An EMG to say.

I’m sure our very ALS knowledgeable members will go over your
symptoms… hopefully they can give you less concern..

Last edited:
Jason,
As you will have read, numbness is not an ALS onset feature. Nor is widespread twitching, either by itself, or extending from beginning in a single spot, like your left calf. Stiffness, joint pain, and feeling weak are all frequently associated with greater focus on a twitching body part and overall body awareness, as well as the factors below.

It can help to start a symptom diary where you also record and give due consideration to everything from the supportiveness of your mattress/pillow, to sleep schedules, nutrition, hydration, stress, exercise and bodywork that stretches your muscles. Quite frequently, the frequency and intensity of the twitches and other scary feelings is under your control, and if you can start the process with that belief (which if you read past posts here, is well supported), you are on your way to making the difference in your own health and wellbeing.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both for your thoughtful response. While the feeling in my calf/leg and body twitches are quite real, I completely understand that both can be exacerbated by focusing on them more. I appreciate the feedback as to what is NOT onset features with ALS. I'll continue to monitor (and a diary of symptoms is a great idea) while also working on ways to improve mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back